Secondary Question (Not what youd think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffocatefaster

Reaction score
Does it matter how long you let your beer sit in secondary?

I know most of you leave it in secondary for 2 weeks, but say I want to bottle ONE 750ml bottle (trying to carbomate) as a practice run while leaving ALL my beer but the 750ml's still airlocked in secondary for a month. Will this be a bad thing?

My Guiness has been in the secondary for 3 weeks now, and I'm not bottling it till January.

suffocatefaster said:
Does it matter how long you let your beer sit in secondary?

I know most of you leave it in secondary for 2 weeks, but say I want to bottle ONE 750ml bottle (trying to carbomate) as a practice run while leaving ALL my beer but the 750ml's still airlocked in secondary for a month. Will this be a bad thing?

You can do that. Some people leave their beers for weeks or months in secondary with no ill effects at all. It all depends on what you've brewed, the conditions under which the secondary are kept and your overall sanitation.

Just keep in mind that the more you mess around with the beer (fermented or not,) the more opportunities you are inviting an infection to take hold.

What are you hoping to achieve by doing a test bottle?

Back