Secondary or not!?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moezart

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a dark brown ale 5 g batch US 05 yeast) sitting in primary (today is day #8) I am planning to rack into secondary but I keep reading online that it is useless and unnecessary to transfer to secondary as it does not do anything to the beer (plus the risk of infection) . But I also read the beer should be separated from the trub soit does not pick up bad flavors... So which one is it now? These two pieces of information are conflicting to say the least.
I am using a bucket as my primary, I have a 5 gallon plastic carboy intended as a secondary... Plus I am planning to dry hop... So I am actually not sure what to do.
Thanks you all for your help.

For 5 gallon batch, secondary is not necessary. Weight of the beer is not enough to cause any problems. Even with dry hop you'll only be on the yeast 2-3 weeks, so no issue.

For 5 gallon batch, secondary is not necessary. Weight of the beer is not enough to cause any problems. Even with dry hop you'll only be on the yeast 2-3 weeks, so no issue.
Thanks Azmark!
So should I just throw the hops on top or should I stir them in with a sanitized spoon?
Also, from what I understand there is no need to sanitize hop pellets for dry hopping, is that true?
Thanks a lot!

And don't stir them in. Just drop them in. Or if you want to make sure they don't float on the top, bag them with sanitized SS washers/weights and then drop them in.

If you are going to be aging for 3 months or more, you would need to move it to a bright tank. The bigger the batch, the more weight/pressure, the faster the trub starts to break down and give off flavors so breweries with 100 barrel tanks have to move sooner.

I just started to do a secondary for beers that I plan to age. if you're dry hopping this beer you will likely drink it quite young, so no need to bother with it. I would however recommend letting it finish out completely so the yeast settles before dry hopping. My standard primary time is 3-4 weeks for ales, just wait and add your dry hops several days before bottling. Also, don't be surprised if the hop addition kicks up some bubbling action in the airlock for a couple days, its normal.

Meme Creator_1535694532902.jpeg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/how-about-a-meme-generator-thread.654449/

Back