Secondary Fruit , let it ferment or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendelrt

Reaction score
I am making a Peach Pale Ale and was wondering if I should allow the frozen peaches I am going to rack on top of in the secondary ferment or not?

I am guessing if I do not allow it to ferment I would have more peach flavor, but worry it might be overpowering.

Thanks =)

Gotcha, I guess I will let it ferment in the secondary, I want a good peach flavor, but I dont want it to taste like peach juice.

If you are considering throwing juice in after the beer has been conditioned and chilled then you might as well just put some juice in a glass before drinking like a shandy. This way you can get the ratio right as to how much fruit juice you like and then add that proper ratio to the full keg.

Otherwise, the secondary will allow the fruit flavors to shine through more so than if you throw the fruit in the primary due to the aromas being drawn off due to CO2 actively leaving your fermenter during primary fermentation.

If the fermentation has reach terminal gravity there's no reason not to just throw the peaches in the fermentor and avoid the oxygen exposure from racking an extra time. The only scrubbing will be from the peach sugars fermenting, but that's going to happen regardless of the vessel used...

Cheers!

Back