Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
image-1026076113.jpg
Racked into secondary two days ago. Checked it this evening. Seemed like a lot of trub in the bottom and had some white things floating in it. Is this normal?

Oh ya, this is my first batch so not really sure what I should be seeing.

How long did you ferment it for? Any gravity checks before transferring? Some activity would be normal if your fermentation wasn't complete yet. And flocculation is a good thing. RDWHAHB.

Primary for ten days. Was going to leave it in the primary but my HBS owner recommended secondary due the fact that I'm kegging. OG was 1.060 and Reading when I racked was 1.016. The kit said FG should be between 1.013 and 1.017 so I guess it's finished fermenting? If I calculated correctly that gives me about 5.75abv. I was just concerned With all the trub. I figured by racking to second I was going to leave most of it behind. There was a lot left in the primary, I just thought it looked like a lot in the secondary. Thanks in advance for your comments.

It's kind of hard to tell from the pic, but most likely you picked up some trub on accident during transfer. Or your yeast all decided to floc at once...

Either way, just relax. The good thing is it's not in your finished beer, so you can take solice in that at least. Good luck!

Yeah every secondary I have done has had trub in the bottom but not nearly as much as what was in the bottom of my primary. Definitely normal and it also helps with having less trub and yeast when you keg your beer.

Back