Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
I'm reading Brewing Classic Styles by John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff. In the book, Jamil says that he generally doesn't recommend secondary fermentation with respect to the recipes in the book. I was surprised by that as I've been under the impression that secondary ferm can only really help. Jamil didn't offer any explanation so I'm hoping some of the more experienced folks here can shed some light. Thanks!

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on this forum has ventured their opinions on the subject many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. If you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread.

Quite a lot of us leave our beers in primary 3-4 weeks.

And all the reasons why and everything else you can imagine is covered in that thread. Including the whole history of the debate/discussion and even the change in Palmer's view of it (which I think was greatly influenced by this forum. We were the first to openly discuss it, and to openly experiment with it, and to call shenanagans on the yeast/autolysis fear.

Welcome!

:mug:

Thanks guys. As soon as I posted, I thought "this has probably been debated ad nauseum and I should've searched around before asking." I appreciate your patience as well as the excellent referrals.

Thanks guys. As soon as I posted, I thought "this has probably been debated ad nauseum and I should've searched around before asking." I appreciate your patience as well as the excellent referrals.

It's cool. Chances are if you have a question in the first few months of brewing, it has been debated ad nauseum, too. I'm not even sure you need to use the search function:

I can currently see the following on the FIRST PAGE:
Secondary or no
how long to primary
how long in bottles/bottles not carbed yet
is this an infection
carboys vs better bottles vs buckets
hydrometer use
when to add extract
hop IBU/boil density
why are hop schedules backwards

So yea, you may just need to read a bunch, and get answers to questions you haven't had to ask yet, but will!:rockin:

Back