Secondary fermentation (w/ fruits) leaves the beer dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlyone

Reaction score
Hi,

so I’ve been brewing smoothie sours by Oakshire receipe and after the first fermentation I usually put marshmallow fluff, fruits and other adjuncts into secondary fermentation vessel.

And after that it start ferment again (that’s normal) with fruits and other adjuncts in it.
The problem is that when I leave it to room temp, it ferments and leaves the beer dry and tasting like ****. All the good sweetness by marshmallow fluff and fruit sugars are gone.

It have to be done in room temp. Otherwise, when I bottle or can them, I’ve made myself a fruit bomb.

So any suggestions how to do it without losing the sweetness and all the goodness?

Thanks!

Add some unfermentable sugars when you add the fruits or mash accordingly to give you more unfermentable sugars.

Might need to pay attention to whether your yeast is diastatic or might have that gene. Some might be happy to munch through what are generally considered unfermentable sugars after quickly dispensing with the very fermentable sugars.

Thanks!

I have some malto-dextrine so that should do the trick right?

Is there any way to prevent that second fermentation? In the receipe there’s marshmallow fluff that increases the body etc and I don’t want to get rid of it.

I left some of my last batch into refrigerator and that keeps all the goodness in the beer and it tastes like it should.

So one option is to keep the ready beer cold and in the kegs.

Maltodextrin is probably a good choice. I've never used it for beer. I'm not fond of sweet beers.

I have used it for carbohydrate replacement while cycling and it works great for that.

Google "maltodextrin use home brew beer" and you'll probably finds some recommendations for amounts. And varying times when people prefer to add it.

Back