Secondary aging in plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethscider

Reaction score
Hi

I have just put my cider (store brought juice)in to secondary. Some went into a glass carboy but the remaining cider has been transferred into a plastic fermenter and i was planning to leave in secondary for a month.. there is quite a bit of headspace, probably enough for a 1 gallon to 1.5 gallons. My question is should i just fill up the headspace with extra juice or should i just leave it as is?

Thanks

Hi

I have just put my cider (store brought juice)in to secondary. Some went into a glass carboy but the remaining cider has been transferred into a plastic fermenter and i was planning to leave in secondary for a month.. there is quite a bit of headspace, probably enough for a 1 gallon to 1.5 gallons. My question is should i just fill up the headspace with extra juice or should i just leave it as is?

Thanks

yes, fill the headspace

Thanks Iloveworts...

Just topped it off.. will this cause fermentation to start back up?

Yes, the existing yeast in secondary will start the fermentation process again when you introduce new fermentables (juice). It's not a big deal but you will get more sediment in the secondary.

Yes, the existing yeast in secondary will start the fermentation process again when you introduce new fermentables (juice). It's not a big deal but you will get more sediment in the secondary.

Thanks iseneye

Back