Secondary additions: cold crash or ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytor2012

Reaction score
I am curious if there is a difference in the outcome of adding flavors to the secondary while cold crashing as opposed to leaving at ferm temp

Here's the scenario I have a porter that I'm going to add cacao nibs to when I rack to the secondary after a nice long primary. Will there be a difference in flavor extraction if I cold crash or leave at ferm temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My understanding is that yes, you get more flavour transfer when doing additions at warmer temperatures than at colder temperatures. It makes sense - is it easier to dissolve molasses in warm water or cold water? Same thing.

I would also add that some additions will add sugar content to the beer. I have never used cacao nibs but I would assume at least a small amount of fermentable sugar is in there and some of that would end up in solution. So if you added it at cold temps the yeast wouldn't be awake to convert the sugar until they're warmer. If you're bottling this could become a major problem.

Probably wouldn't be a problem in the case of cacao but fruit additions I would definitely worry about.

Back