Second Runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno81

Reaction score
I'm currently reading the IPA book by Mitch Steele, and i was inspired by our forefathers and their brewing techniques.

So I decided to try an experiment. I was brewing an Arrogant Bastard clone and had a high grain bill, so after my initial mash and I was starting my AB boil. I mashed the grains a second time. The preboil gravity was about .025 kinda low so i added about 1lb of DME. Got an OG of .052 And used about 2 oz of northern brewer 1 oz FWH and 1 oz at 15 min. Used 1056 I washed from a previous brew. And fermented for about a 10 days and then bottled let bottle condition for about 6 weeks and is amazingly crisp and and clear. Very easy drinker for when I don't want a strong ipa and I got an extra 5 galons of beer at no Xtra cost. :)

image-2930961885.jpg

I currently have another 5 gallons of a second runnings from a black IPA. I can't wait to try this one. :)

Danno81 said:
I currently have another 5 gallons of a second runnings from a black IPA. I can't wait to try this one. :)
currently fermenting

Cool!

I brewed a Double Bastard two weeks ago, the OG was 1.104 and I could have done the same. What was your A.B. gravity?

I am brewing an imperial porter this weekend, the OG target is 1.088, a great candidate for a second running's beer. I plan on adding 2 to 3 pounds of two row and perhaps a pound of Crystal 120 or 150, a pound of Piloncillo sugar (unrefined), 3/4 pound of caramelized raisins, and ferment with WLP530. A sort of Belgiany stout with raisins.

That sounds delicious. I didn't record my OG but my pre boil gravity was 1.070. Doing the second running makes your brew day very long so don't drink too much. The second time I did it I mashed the grains the second time and put them in a clean bucket and sealed them and the next day I boiled them. I figured it would be ok as long as I didn't wait more than a day.

Just did this last sunday. Imperial porter with OG of 1.091 and a smaller brown ale type beer @ 1.040. Looking to turn it into a Surly Coffee Bender of sorts hopefully! Very easy to do plus 2 beers for the price of 1!

+1 to the long brew day. I'm with Danno, run the 2nd mash into bucket and either boil early the next day, or like me, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm planning on a second attempt with an AB clone this weekend and plan on using citra and cascade for my second beer. I also have a couple pounds of Munich that I'm thinking about adding to the second mash or steeping before the boil I havnt made my mind up quite yet.

I did a small experimental partigyle (1 gal) from a saison batch. I boiled the runnings down for an hour with the hops, and added some DME (270 gr) to bring the gravity to 1.050. If anything, the beer tasted a bit thin, and missed a lot of the great aromatics and "thickness" her big sister had. They both ended with an FG of 1.005. There was no simple sugar added to the worts.

I wonder if the second (these were actually third) runnings are inferior content-wise to the first, aside from just less sugars. I know the DME doesn't add much flavor, so perhaps a few steeping grains could have boosted it somewhat.

Yeah I can see how it's almost a 3rd running. With the sparge and all. And your right about not having the body or the special aromas. It's truly no match for the first running but it seems to be a hit for my friends and family who don't like heavy beers. I've been adding DME and plan on steeping some grains I have laying around next time. It's a good way to use up old ingredients also

This sounds like a great way to get some wort for starters. I've been wanting to can some starters and that OG sounds like the perfect range.

Mine is an imperial porter with coffee and cacao (both post-ferment). I can't wait to give it a shot and what comes out. At the very least, it will cost me a few extra dollars and some time. If the day is running late, I'll mash overnight and fire-up the burner the next day.

Will 2-3 pounds of 2 row and 1 pound of C120/C150 be enough to bring it up a bit? The pound or so of raisins and sugar will.

I'm sure it would work great. I can't wait to get back at it. It's been almost 3 weeks and I'm itching to get some more product in my lines. They are low due to me not closing my keg tap all the way last weekend and basically dumped my entire AB CLONE. Talk about heart break

Ok so I brewed again today and took detailed notes throughout the extended 8 hour process so here it is

First I'll give my first running numbers and recipe so you can see what the outcome is

Arrogant Bastard Clone #2

Single mash infusion,( over night to lessen brew day today.) temp @ 1am was 155• 9am 139•

14lbs 2-row
1.5lbs special b

90 min boil
All chinook hops 1oz @85min 1oz@45min 1oz@15min 1oz@flameout

Pre boil gravity 1.048 @72•f (lower than expected)
OG - 1.070 right on target but I boiled more off than planned (target 6gal - final 5gal)

Ok so now for the second running'a numbers

Single mash infusion (mashed while I boiled the AB CLONE)

Pre-boil gravity 1.012 ( extremely low) but I wanted to make this work so I added 1lb DME AND 2lbs table sugar)

OG 1.034 (not great but should be roughly 4-5% ABV when fermented)

Note: i steeped 12oz of Munich and 8oz of crystal 60 for 20 min at 165

Hops 1oz cascade @ 60 min
1oz chinook@ 15 min
1oz citra @ flameout

So basically this will work if you don't care too much about ABV

I don't think I will try this again unless I am brewing a double ipa or a strong Belgian, but who knows I may change my mind.

For my imperial porter I did the following:

For the second beer, I downsized the original recipe to 2 gallons in Beersmith (sans hops and yeast), added the grains, about 4.5 pounds to the second mash, and collected about 4.5 gallons.

I added 1.5 oz. of fuggles at 60 minutes, 1 pound of grated piloncillo, 1 pound of caramelized raisins, and .5 oz. of fuggles at 15 minutes.

The raisins were hit with a propane torch to until the skin blistered and bubbled. I drew wort off the kettle, pureed the raisins, and dumped the slurry into the hop bag to keep the wort clean.

With a lid on the keggle, I boiled the first addition of hops and raisins for 30 minutes.

Post boil, the gravity at 3.75 gallons was about 1.068-1.070. I pitched an active slurry of WLP530 and let it go.

I decided not to add O2 for this batch, just to see how it goes. The fermentation chamber is occupied with the first batch so this one is sitting in the garage at an ambient temp of 64F. Measuring the beer internally, it is 70F.

For less than $10 in grain & additional hops, I got a decent sized somewhat high gravity batch.

Hope it tastes good.

[ The raisins were hit with a propane torch to until the skin blistered and bubbled. I drew wort off the kettle, pureed the raisins, and dumped the slurry into the hop bag to keep the wort clean.

Why the torch on the raisins?

The taste of the raisins did change after the torch. I don't know how much flavor it will impart in a batch but I went for it.

Back