Second runnings from the tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Ran into a club member at the hardware store tonight and got to talking about how our doppelbocks are doing. Last firebrew we made 150-160 gallons of doppelbock. I bought 20 gallons of wort. 5 laugering, 5 room temp s-04 to trade for 5 gallons of sour from the club’s sour barrel, 5 us-05 at room temp and after boil I steeped some specialty grains and 2oz of Amarillo at flameout To make a doppelbock stout. I’ve had a bunch of members ask how the stout is coming along, so I guess I’ll have to keg it this weekend and carb it for next month’s meeting.

Anyway we got to talking about our gravities. OG came in low @1.079, should have been 1.083. Anyway everyone I’ve talked to has finished 1.032-1.033 no matter the yeast or temperature. The only one I’ve taken a gravity of is the s-04 and it’s holding @ 1.033. Recipe said it should come out around 1.020 With OG being as the recipe stated. Not really understanding the math on this one...

I was brewmaster at firebrew, so other than my stout experiment I didn’t get to do much playing around 1.040 collecting “2nd runnings” from the tun. If one were to do something like I did I doubt it would raise the gravity much unless you added more grains to the grain bed and used enough water to cover and maybe DME in the boil. Or ferment after boil as is and make a session.

This has me thinking... my next brew day is an oatmeal stout for the next competition has about 11lbs of grain. I wonder if I could add a couple of gallons of strike water pull off any remaining sugars to make it worthwhile With such a small batch. The grain bill for firebrew was 515lbs, I believe he got an extra 10 gallons of pre boil. Maybe some sort of porter or dark brown session from the oatmeal?

Figure it’s worth a shot... any thoughts? Any side effects for the beer using second runnings?

If you are not careful about controlling ph you will end up extracting excess tannins in the last round of runnings which will make for an astringent beer. So look at acidifying the latter runnings to avoid a rising ph.

Have two ph meters. Need to calibrate though. Thanks! Didn’t think of ph!

Back