Second Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeFeo

Reaction score
Started with a True Brew IPA added some honey late to boost the abv. Do you think this would be to hoppy? I also am okay with this not being in the style of a traditional IPA

6.6lbs amber LME
1lb Crystal (40L I believe)
2lbs honey (early in primary)
1oz pilgrim 50mins higher AA
1oz first gold 50mins low AA
1oz Cascade 1 min low AA
will add 1oz UK Kent Goldings as dry hop
Oak chips
Didn't take note of the AA%

Any criticism constructive or otherwise?

Thanks,
DeFeo

IPAs are usually hoppy anyway.

Beersmith is giving me right around 67 IBUs which is in the range of a traditional America IPA.

Thank you for your input Beer Calculus put it at around 53. I love my IPA's so I think I'll be happy with it. Cheers!

"Too hoppy" is a complete matter of subjective opinion and depends on balance...I have seen craft beer drinkers think 50 ibus was too hoppy, then I have seen recipes on here for beers far beyond the percievable tast of IBUs :D

From looking at the malt/hop ratio quickly, it will definitely be on the bitter side (plus the honey will dry it out accentuating the bitterness!). If that is what you are going for, than the recipe is great!

Ps. Kudos for not worrying about styles. Making beer is about making what you want, not appeasing to the style nazis!

Back