Second brew, first Partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophunter

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First off, great resource here. Been learning a ton. Anyways, wife and I just finished cooking batch number two. I was feeling ambitious and put together an IPA recipe myself with the help of brewtarget-1.2.

Boil Vol - 6.5 gal
Primary Vol. - 5.25 gal

1 lb Crystal 40
2 lb Vienna

Mash at approx. 149-153. 1.25 qt/lb No proper mash tun, just 8 quart stock pot. Sparged 10 min @ 172

3 lb Amber DME
3 lb Ex. Light DME
1 lb Light DME

1 hour boil.

Hops:
50 min - 1 oz Simcoe (12.2 AA)
30 min - 1 oz Centennial (9.9 AA)
15 min - .25 oz Cascade (? AA) LHB had it in a jar
10 min - .5 oz Amarillo (8 AA)
5 min - .25 oz Cascade & .5 oz Amarillo
Flame out - 1 oz Willamette (4.9 AA)
Dry hop - 1 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Cascade

Whirlfloc @ 10 min
Yeast - White Labs WLP036 (Dusselldorf ale) Recommended by LHB, no starter.

Predicted Values
OG - 1.067 actual 1.069
FG - 1.016
IBU - 66.5
ABV - 6.6%
Color - 9.8 SRM

Initial Impressions - Pretty darn hoppy. Looking forward to the finished product.

If it turns out well, I owe part of the success to the learned people on this forum. If not, I must not be able to follow directions well. :mug:

Sounds good!
Wow, just your second batch and you're already making your own recipes! Sweet!
Good luck and happy brewing!

Those estimated values look pretty good. I'm getting thirsty :)

What is Whirlfloc? Flocculation control?

Thanks Frazier.

What is Whirlfloc? Flocculation control?

Thats exactly it. LHBS gave the first tablet free so I figured why not. Maybe he sold more questionable merchandise at some point?:cross:

I guess jumping in with both feet is my nature. The third fishing fly I ever tied was a deer hair popper. Good thing there are hobbies where you can screw up and still the product might be useful, and that there are brothers who brew to answer all of the noob questions.

Awesome! Happy to see a fellow brewer that likes to jump right into original brews! hehe.

Seems like the makings of a fine beer too.

I went the same route as you. My first batch was my own recipe and it was a partial mash. Nothing like wading in waist-deep the first time. (as opposed to over my head like going AG right off the bat heheh)

Looks like you have a good one there. Keep it up!

Wanted to provide an update on how this beer turned out. The wife and I both really enjoy it. It finished around 1.016 from about 1.07. The beer was in primary for about 3 weeks and then secondary for a week. It didn't clear very well but thats fine. I actually dry hopped in primary not intending to secondary. Primed with about 3 oz sugar to get a very light carbonation.
I'm not one for in depth tasting notes but this turned out interesting. It started very citrusy and a little floral in the hydro samples. Now it has a real nice malt background, hop aroma a little less than I'd have liked. Head retention not great but nice and creamy. The flavor starts out tasting floral and citrusy but kind of ends with a little clove similar to Hoegaarden. Not sure how that happened but it is really a nice touch. Very pleased with this IPA overall.

Back