Second brew a simple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkingery79

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to both say hello and get some feedback on my cider. I get 2.5 gallons of pasteurized cider from the local orchard today. They told me they used a mix of what they had on hand in it. Got home and tasted it and wow is it sweet. Got out the old hydrometer and showed a OG of 1.055. Got it in the 3 gallon carboy and aerated it a couple minutes then pitched about 2/3 a vial of white labs English cider. Got it sitting in the spare tub with my 1 gallon of White House honey ale till bottling day for that beer. All in all quick and easy day. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

image-2658573945.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like you're on the right track. You got a SG reading which is perfect even without adding any extra sugar. The simpler, the better IMHO. Some of my best batches were the simplest. What are your plans when the ferment starts winding down? The reason I ask is because of the headspace in your carboy. May either want to add more juice or transfer to smaller container(s) because when the ferment starts to end, you want to prevent oxygen from being in contact with your cider. Limiting headspace is key when there are less gasses being produced. Cheers!

Most likely I'm going to split it up between a couple smaller containers and top off with juice

Latest posts

Back