Second Batch Yeasty Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Brewed my second batch Friday 10/15 using a Northern Brewer Kit (American Cream Ale SG 1.0395, Wyeast 1056) and noticed that the airlock is not bubbling as much as my second batch. I primed the yeast in the package and gave it about 8 hours of inflation time, at the end it was really inflated. I proceeded to brew with no mishaps and it the airlock was bubbling a lot the day after. However, since then it has slowed considerably. The total fermentation time recommended is 2 weeks. I was just wondering if the liquid Wyeast fermented differently than the last batch of Danstar Nottingham yeast that I used. The Not. was bubbling furiously for about 5 days after I brewed, whereas this one is much slower and not as frequent as my previous batch was.

You should be fine.

Different yeasts will have different looking fermentations. Some finish faster, some flocculate more, etc.

The keys you should be focusing on are sanitation, starting with healthy (fresh) yeast, and fermenting at a temperature within the optimum range for the yeast strain you are using. If you are too hot, you can have a fast fermentation, too cool a slow one.

airlock activity isn't the best indicator of yeast activity either. sounds like you'll be just fine.

Back