second batch advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrockbrew

Reaction score
Hi I'm on my second batch I just pitched the yeast 4 days ago check on it today and I went from .056 to .018 that fast. I still have krausen left but not as much as before...the beer is a black ipa and has been kept at 70-72 degress. Im wondering if that seems abronmally fast fermentation. Also i will be dry hopping using pellets. Any advice or feedback?

punkrockbrew said:
Hi I'm on my second batch I just pitched the yeast 4 days ago check on it today and I went from .056 to .018 that fast. I still have krausen left but not as much as before...the beer is a black ipa and has been kept at 70-72 degress. Im wondering if that seems abronmally fast fermentation. Also i will be dry hopping using pellets. Any advice or feedback?

It should have been fermented in the low to mid 60s so since it was warmer than that its not surprising it went quicker but its probably not yet done so let it ride another week to finish and begin clearing.

Most likely some off flavors may have developed so you should probably give it a total of 3-4 weeks primary to give the yeast a chance to help clean things up. ( you did not mention the strain of yeast so I'm assuming it was a clean fermenting ale yeast typical for an IpA)

It might not be the norm, but it's certainly not unusual. Probably a result of higher fermentation temp. If you have the ability, you'll probably get better taste by fermenting at 60-68 degrees.

Hmmmm still a krausen. Smells delicious. Smells like its still fermenting but no bubbles

If your room was 70-72F, your beer likely hit 80F, which explains a fast fermentation. You need to keep your beer in the mid-low 60's to prevent some nasty flavors in the future.

No no no. The liquid crystal thermometer wich is stuck to the side of my bucket read 72....not the air temp...sampled today tastes good gravity down to .015. Planning on dropping 2oz of hops soon

Back