seasoning a 40 qt. aluminum stockpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbradley77

Reaction score
I just purchased a 40 quart aluminum stockpot just for brewing. I will be boiling on a propane stove. How should I condition it since it will not fit in my oven?

Fill it up and boil some water in it. I let mine go for about thirty minutes. That will build up what you need.

Which means do not use Starsan or any other type of oxygen cleaner on it or the layer will be gone. If I ever have to sanitize my aluminum pot I use Iodophor.

Which means do not use Starsan or any other type of oxygen cleaner on it or the layer will be gone. If I ever have to sanitize my aluminum pot I use Iodophor.

I wouldn't even use Iodaphor. I just use a cloth and hot water and rub until all the crud is gone. It is not abrasive enough to remove the oxidation.

You don't need to sanitize your boil pot. The steam will do that.

I bought an 8 gallon (32-quart?) aluminum stock pot before my last brew. I didn't "season" my pot. My beer came out subpar, but I'm not noticing any metallic flavors. Could that be caused by my brew pot? I don't have any specific off flavors that I can ID, just not great beer. Sorry, don't mean to high jack the thread but any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't even use Iodaphor. I just use a cloth and hot water and rub until all the crud is gone. It is not abrasive enough to remove the oxidation.

You don't need to sanitize your boil pot. The steam will do that.

I've actually used my HLT (which is aluminum) to transfer cooled wort to in order to filter. In that case I did need to sanitize it. If using it as a boil kettle only though you are right.

Back