Searching Craigslist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a couple of items. I remember someone a couple of years ago posting a way to search/find items on Craigslist through a different site. You set up your search words and the area, and get notifications when that comes up.

Does anybody know what the heck I"m talking about?!?

I use an app on my Android phone that auto-refreshes all of my searches (in multiple regions) every few minutes. It's called Craigsnotifica (I think).

I'm sure a web-based version exists, but I don't know what it is. Sorry!

I use SearchTempest. It lets you search multiple areas/regions on CL at one time and will give you an RSS link for it. I have it go right to my Google Reader feeds so I get updates any time posts with my keywords come up.

Don't forget the RSS feed from your local Craigs list. If searching, the search results have a RSS link at the bottom righthand side of the page (in IE 8 that is).

You can use this feed in an RSS reader or even Outlook or other email program to deliver your search specific terms as they are posted. This is very handy.

Also, to search for multiple items, separate each term with a pipe ( | ). For example, my local search is "beer | homebrew | brewing". The search returns all terms.

I don't think they have cell phones in the UP.

_

Yes we do! One of my friends even has one of those new fangled Android contraptions and we're getting a cell tower any time now. so there!

Don't forget the RSS feed from your local Craigs list. If searching, the search results have a RSS link at the bottom righthand side of the page (in IE 8 that is).

You can use this feed in an RSS reader or even Outlook or other email program to deliver your search specific terms as they are posted. This is very handy.

Also, to search for multiple items, separate each term with a pipe ( | ). For example, my local search is "beer | homebrew | brewing". The search returns all terms.

Well, see, that's the issue. The "local" Craigslist is for the whole UP of Michigan, an area of about 350 miles wide and 125 miles long. Not exactly "local", even with the few listings to sort through.

I use SearchTempest. It lets you search multiple areas/regions on CL at one time and will give you an RSS link for it. I have it go right to my Google Reader feeds so I get updates any time posts with my keywords come up.

I don't use Google Reader, but I did the search and it was perfect! It gave me all results within 150 miles. That's exactly what I needed!

I thought you and Bob were happily married yoop. Or are you just looking for a little spice?

I use searchtempest.com - I really need another keggle - my plastic mash tun just developed a serious crack problem and had to be put down.

out of commission. Must search craigslist

Back