Seabuckthorn/ Seaberry Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGuy

Reaction score
This wine starts off with a color resembling fluorescent orange nuclear waste. The berries are very high in acid, protein, and fat so making this wine will require some extra care and attention.

Sea buckthorn/Seaberry Wine Recipe

2.2 lbs fruit (plus or minus 0.5 lb is fine)
2.0 lbs sugar (or until SG reaches 1.09-1.10)
Potentially ½ tsp acid blend (check pH of must, not necessarily needed as berries are acidic)
½ tsp pectinase (pectic enzyme)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1 packet EC 1118 yeast

This is the first wine recipe we have come up with using these berries. Special attention is needed during racking as the berries fat content results in surface sediment as well as the regular yeasty sediment. Filtration is necessary to get perfectly clear wine if you ferment the entire berries, alternatively if your berry supply allows I would juice them then remove as much fat as possible right off the bat. Coarse filtering removes all fat particles after sufficient racking’s. I suspect the protein also contributes to a lighter more buoyant haze, coarse filtering (first set of wine filtration pads) removed all obvious particulate.
The wine does taste good unfiltered, I would make no guarantees of long term stability though as the fat may go rancid (I haven’t had this happen, just a precautionary warning).
As for sweetening, most would likely enjoy this better slightly sweetened, I would recommend stabilizing following normal procedures then stirring in honey or sugar. I made a sea buckthorn mead at the same time and honey goes really well with the flavor of sea buckthorn.

It does smell very nice. I'm eagerly awaiting the aging process to see just how the flavor develops. Opened a small bottle the other night and it hasn't changed much, its a nice dry (and sour) wine but basically just tastes like the berries, no subtle flavors or real character at this point.

My 2014 seabuckthorn wine is slightly cloudy- didn't filter- and has pucker power- think lemon wine. It has not gone rancid with the 'haze' of fine oil. It makes a wicked sangria, but is an acquired taste due to the extreme dryness. I have a batch brewing now, that I intend to 'back' sweeten before bottling, to help bring out the unique flavour.

Back