SE Penna Harvest Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone else is picking their hops grown in the SE PA now? My bines stopped growing in height and are LOADED with cones!

I've got 3rd year Nugget and Centennial as well as 2nd year cascade ready to harvest. Bines are 20' tall and cones all over the place. What to brew?????

3rd year growth. They jumped out of the ground this spring. Growth was very fast but within the last 2 weeks they've just stopped. They nearly reached the top of the 20' trellis.

I already dropped the Centennial bine and harvested all the cones. In the basement now on screens with fans and dehumidifier blasting. I'm going to do a SMASH with German Pilsner 2 Row as soon as I grab a sack (need about 20lbs).

Researched the board for recipe conversions from pellets to leaf hops and I intend to use the pellet weights for the recipe but add 10%. It should turn out nice!

Cold refreshing and light Pilsner is in my future! Woot! :ban:

How old are your hops?

Cool. I was just wondering because I've seen burrs in the last couple weeks but mine were just planted this May.

3rd year Cascade with lots of full cones that seem ready to be picked. Figured I was going to do so this week.

Amazing. Not even a spike here yet, but that's actually par for the course, if the previous three years are solid indicators...

Cheers!

In SE massachusetts first time growing.
What should my expectations be?
No cones yet...about 15 feet now.

Brian

The first year will produce your lowest yield. Every year after that your harvest will be amazing. The bines need to establish a strong root system before they produce a good harvest. Left unattended the tendrils will overtake everything in it's path. I've returned to the garden after a few days to find a rake being strangled!

In SE massachusetts first time growing.
What should my expectations be?
No cones yet...about 15 feet now.

Brian

Back