SE Mass - 60 Gal.: Turbid Mash Lambic Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barrel still dead on 1028. I'm shocked it is still stalled out. I've had a heating pad on that barrel for a solid three or four weeks and it hasn't budged at all.

I don't think we have a choice but to bottle it up.

IIRC that's putting us somewhere around 9.5%... what's the alcohol tolerance for these bugs?

Brett goes to 12% anyway

I think you could bottle it up and put it in a warm place and get the extra points your looking.
I dont know if it would be prudent to use anything but corks and cages though.

What else would you use?

I'm not particularly worried that it's slowed down. I don't know what you other guys are going to do but I will plan on pulling out my share and dosing with priming sugar and fresh yeast and bottling in 750 Belgian bottles. If anyone else want to do the same we can bottle on the same run. I'll plan on bringing my 5 spout bottler with me and we can bottle during the LONG boil for the lambic.

Here is a video of the bottler in action during last years Mass Group Grape Buy day.

th_bottling.jpg

You can go as fast as you can put the bottles on and off the rig.

PTN

It's a pretty standard design, something hundreds of small wineries around the country use before they have the cash to lay out for a mechanized bottling machine that flushes the bottles with CO2 (and go for $20k). I bought it from a friend in Sonoma who used it in his 5 acre vineyard for years and he insists that the oxygenatio issue is grossly overblown, especially for the short exposure during bottling.

PTN

It's a pretty standard design, something hundreds of small wineries around the country use before they have the cash to lay out for a mechanized bottling machine that flushes the bottles with CO2 (and go for $20k). I bought it from a friend in Sonoma who used it in his 5 acre vineyard for years and he insists that the oxygenatio issue is grossly overblown, especially for the short exposure during bottling.

PTN

I think your friend is on crack........... at least regarding beer.

For wine, especially Reds I would tend to agree because at serving you want to get some air on them anyway.

Wine I dont have that much experience with ..............unless you count my time listening to CB.

"the bigger man"? I thought you've been biking the Tour de Chicks?

(and now a word from the Massachusetts Peanut Growers Association: ... )

" Fu*k Almonds!"

If you didn't have any O2, there wouldn't be much point in aging big red wines, would there? Most of the changes that take place are oxidation-related, aren't they? Maybe he wanted to jump-start the aging process by introducing too much O2, or maybe he used this to produce sherry.

If you didn't have any O2, there wouldn't be much point in aging big red wines, would there? Most of the changes that take place are oxidation-related, aren't they? Maybe he wanted to jump-start the aging process by introducing too much O2, or maybe he used this to produce sherry.

Correct but he's talking about using that for the Consecration clone.............thats scary

I'm coming up with 60 gallons a 1.060 OG lambic with 80 lbs of pils and 55 lbs of raw wheat. ABV of just over 6. So two sacks of pils and a sack a' raw wheat. I'll tack em onto the club bulk grain buy and order it up in the next two days.

... and a sack of rice hulls.

... and I'll ask North Country if they have any really old hops.

Did you pull your sack yet?

Anyone else a little giddy about this brew day?

CB
If I tell the wife to take the night off and have her meet me later in the day with the kids thats cool right?
Maybe we'll have her go to that butcher shop for some cow so we can crush it
LIKE A BOSS

Boy I sure do enjoy a good brewing gathering but alas i'm going to have to miss this one... Had to schedule it on car show weekend. Oh well.

Did you pull your sack yet?

Anyone else a little giddy about this brew day?

CB
If I tell the wife to take the night off and have her meet me later in the day with the kids thats cool right?
Maybe we'll have her go to that butcher shop for some cow so we can crush it
LIKE A BOSS

Obbbbbbbbviously.

Pool might be up to a reasonable temp too if this weather stays the way it is.

And NO Paul, you're not wearing your freakin' speedo. You're not allowed in anything more revealing than your regular muumuu.

Obbbbbbbbviously.

Pool might be up to a reasonable temp too if this weather stays the way it is.

Next time its at my place its prime rib.

My rotisserie is going to be on my porch Friday when I get home :ban:

Wyeast e-mailed me back and basically told me to GFY
Said it would be better to get 12 packs of 3278 rather than a big culture from them................................

I think 12 packs is overkill anyway, 6 should be plenty.
What type of rinse is planned for the barrel after its emptied?

Maybe a few bottles of Chardonnay?

And NO Paul, you're not wearing your freakin' speedo. You're not allowed in anything more revealing than your regular muumuu.

brain_bleach.jpg

This happeniing could get scary! I think at least ONE responsible adult should be present (crap, I'll have to see if I can bring one with me).

What does everyone think of "rinsing" the barrel with some Chardonnay?

A quick warm water rinse followed by a few bottles of Gallo's finest?

Also.... with the long weekend this weekend, the 12th is gonna be here right quick. We need to start getting a decent headcount of anyone who is thinking about popping in and hanging out so we can get the obnoxious amount of meat figured out.

People need to bring they own meat

You aint gonna have the time for hosting/running for mayor until pretty late in the day.

We could just do a shy load of Porterhouses.
I'll pick em up and we'll figure it out Saturday while we are getting boilovers, stuck mashes and burned feet.

Not if I toss a small hog in the ground.

not gonna bother if it is just 6 or 7 of us. 6 or 7 of us then yeah, I totally agree, big fat steaks all around.

i think we're gonna have more than that though.

clam bake would be sick too but I'm too cheap to be buyin' a huge pile of lobsters. We could make Paul go diving for some again but that would require him to get into a wetsuit again and I don't think we want to subject our oceans to that sight when we have the catastrophic oil spill already going on. Let the ocean deal with one horrifying sight at a time.

I can't see how I can make it down, too much stuff going on. Gotta get working on the new bathroom, and there's a bunch of crap I need to get done around the house before the_Wife's birthday party at the end of the month.

Back