SD Bay Area - Medical Oxygen Tank Refill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyBubblewrap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
San Francsico Bay Area, no San Deigo

I was gifted a brand new Jumbo D sized medical oxygen cylinder with a basic post valve but I haven't been able to get if filled.

All the welding stores I have contacted don't have the adapter to fill into this valve and all the medical places want a prescription.

I am located in the San Jose \ Santa Clara area and am running out of ideas. I am hoping some fellow brewer might have a solution or a recommended filling place.

I have read about replacing the valve with a standard welding one, but I am told after doing that, I would need to have the whole tank re-certified and I can't seem to find a place that can do that.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Sorry, no licensed/certified place will fill that tank (w/o prescription), and no un-reputable place will fill it to make $20, it's not worth the risk. I've heard of some medical tanks with a 2nd port that can be used w/o Rx but it doesn't sound like you have one of these. If you know a EMS or firefighter they might be able to hook you up when they get their fills.

Regarding a retrofit - A new valve will cost $40-$150, that's assuming the cylinder neck threads are the same.

I second bja's advice, there's nothing you can do cost effectively with the tank you have now. Can you return it where it was purchased? It's still new so it's got the shiny value.

Thanks for all the advice!

In a last ditch effort today I went by a dive shop. They filled it with no problem and for only $5! I had to pay $25 to have them inspect the bottle since it was brand new, but totally worth it. They use 99% pure ABO (aviators breathing oxygen).

I learned quite a bit. It seems most dive shops are able to fill emergency dive bottles which have medical fittings. Apparently its even more common if the dive shop is near an airport as lots of private pilots need tanks filled and those also use the medical fitting.

Yeah I got the tank with an adjustable regulatory that goes in 1/8 LPM steps all the way up to 4 LPM. They are only about 25-30 dollars.

I got all my regulatory and tank from CPR-savers.com but that was only because I had some medical insurance FSA (Flexible spending account) money that was going to expire. The government allows FSA funds to be spent on Oxygen equipment without a prescription.

Back