Screwy's Weizen/Weissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewyBrewer

ezRecipe - The Easy Way To Awesome Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first recipe I've brewed using only DME and honey for fermentables. The hop schedule uses a 30 minute boil for bitterness, a 12 minute boil for flavor and dry finishing hops for aroma.

I used qBrew's default 'Weizen/Weissbier' style guidelines to crunch this recipe's numbers.

Recipe:
Click to download this recipe file for qBrew
Size 2.13 gallons: Estimated IBU=16, SRM=4, OG=1.050, FG=1.013, ABV=4.9%
2 pounds Muntons Wheat DME
1/2 pound Golden Blossom Honey

1/4 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 30 minutes
1/2 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 12 minutes
1/4 ounce Halleteur pellet hops finishing

11.5 gram Fermentis Safbrew WB-06 yeast
Pitched at 65F and fermented at 60F

Directions:
Boil 3 quarts of filtered water
Boil 1/4 oz. hops for 30 minutes
Boil 1/2 oz. hops for12 minutes
Stir in DME and honey boil for 10 minutes
Use wort chiller to lower wort temperature to 70F
Add 4 quarts cold filtered water to Mr. Beer fermenter
Pour cooled wort into fermenter keg, including 1/4 oz. finishing hops and pitch yeast
Ferment at constant 60F temperature for 21 days

This wheat beer came out extremely well, I will be brewing 2 more batches this weekend.:mug:

The results are in, the recipe and pellicle for my Weizen/Weissbier produced the best tasting most flavorful wheat beer I have ever tasted. That interesting lemon like taste at bottling, that not sweet but not sour flavor was still there and it somehow rounded out the taste of a really great beer.

Trust me on this one there were no lemons anywhere near this recipe let alone in it. The color, body, authentic Hallertauer hopping and carbonation level all worked together nicely making this recipe hands down the best beer I've ever brewed, so far.

wheatbeer-dme.jpg

Click for more...Screwy's Weizen/Weissbier

The great flavor of this wheat beer was almost lost forever when other brewers recommended I might have to toss the batch out
because of the pellicle that had formed on top of the beer while in the fermenter. Looking back I'm glad I rode it out because the
beer turned out to be the best wheat I have brewed to date, pellicle and all.

whearkausen.jpg

I poured a sample into a small glass for tasting and the beer came out free of trub or krausen with a light amber color that was
cloudy, as expected for a German wheat beer. There was already a very slight hint of what I could best describe as lemon present
in the samples I tasted.

Thanks although I did save the trub from 1 bottle I decided to go all or nothing and recreate the same pellicle in 2 new batches using the same ingredients as the first.

So far the there is no visible pellicle forming on the tops of the 2 new batches I brewed and fermented exactly the same way as the first. Although with the first batch I didn't even notice the pellicle until I opened the fermenter lid to pull the hop sack out before bottling. As it is now the pellicle has 9 days left to form as I plan on bottling these 2 batches after my usual 21 days of fermentation.

Back