plastic fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
While doing my normal cleaning after use, I noticed my fermenting bucket has a few minor scratches at the bottom. I have read that those scratches could be a problem. I clean everything really good, so I am not sure. If I go with a glass carboy I know there is a rusk on them breaking and me getting hurt. But I don't really have the money for a metal fermenting vessel like a fermzilla right now. I guess I am just wondering how bad the scratches have to be before I should get concerned.

I on the other hand wouldn't be too concerned if those scratches are just surface abrasion.

If it was me I'd use it until it proved itself unworthy by producing a infected batch of beer. Even then for my next batch I'd probably just put a chlorine bleach and water solution in it and let it sit an hour or so prior to rinsing it out and doing my normal Iodiphor or StarSan sanitizing routine. And if that next batch turned out infected too, then I'd toss it.

I have run across a thread talking about fermenting in a corny keg. That sounds kinda interesting and I can avoid any scratches or issues. I can then to a closed transfer from my fermenting keg to my serving keg and use a floating dip tube to filer any unwanted bits. Hmmm, I am going to look into this a bit more. I can get a used Corny keg on Craigslist for about 50 bucks, if not cheaper. Then I can do cold crashes in my kegerator as well.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to do a bit more research on this. RR

If it comes clean, I think you're good. Means sanitizer can get in there too.

If it seems to turn brown or other colors and stay that way, I'd get another and turn that one into something used around the garage or yard.

A scratch wouldn't worry me, a gouge would. You must decide for yourself the boundary between the two.
I ran my finger along the bottom of the bucket and nothing caught my nail enough to stop it, so I think they are just surface scratches at best. Gonna switch to a plastic spoon when I stir stuff, which is not that often really. I am going to go with it.

I'd be worried about the boiling water bursting the plastic bucket and going a long way all over my floors!

Admittedly, I've never put 212°F (100°C) water in my plastic buckets.

I have *boiled* water in a plastic bucket many times. It's a 90 mil bucket, not a 70 mil, but even a 70 should handle boiling water just fine.

Back