Scratched bucket question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I've never used a bucket for beer, been a carboy user since the start. I have just managed to procure a 7.9 gallon for free but it has some faint and some moderate sccratching on the bottom. I would like to use this bucket after reading this thread about British yeast doing better in open style fermentations in buckets.

I'm looking for opinions if it's worth keep. I tried to take a picture of the inside but nothing was visible in the photo with the flash and without the flash it was too dark in the bucket to see. Should I attempt it? At most I'm out 20 dollars for a low grain bill bitter and a few weeks of waiting. At best I get a nice big bucket for the pain in the ass kind of yeasts.

As long as you do a good job of cleaning, you'll be fine using it. A good oxyclean/pbw soak should do the trick.

Why make it harder on yourself for the cost of a bucket?

Some people line buckets with a plastic liner or Turkey roasting bag to make clean up easier, might be worth considering.

These US forums teach me something new every day, roasting turkey in a bag, strange....

We americans are a lazy lot. You roast the turkey in the bag inside of the pot. Nothing to stick to the pot.......mess all contained inside the bag.

Pffft We're fatter 1st lazy 2nd. If not we wouldn't have any turkey fryer set ups for beer.

Back