Scrapped the auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
Bought this thing because I needed to top off an order to get free shipping and I thought it might be useful.

Well, first time I tried it the "flutter valve" in the bottom wasn't working so it wouldn't pump to create a siphon. Went back to my old copper racking cane and finished what I needed to do.

Finally took it apart and fixed the flutter valve. Tried it again yesterday. Well the siphon started fine but flow was horrible slow. Then I started getting big air pockets in the hose. Okay, maybe it's pulling CO2 out of solution? NO, it's sucking air in around the O-ring on the inner tube. Probably turned a couple bottles of IPA into sherry with all the air that got into them.

Went and got the old copper racking cane and finished up. Auto-siphon is in the waste bin.

I know these seem to work for some people just not for me.

All the Best,
D. White

It might have been a defective unit. But if you put a little water or wort in on top of the rubber seal at the bottom of the cane it usually seals well.
Store the parts separately, take the cane out of the outer tube.

I have used several auto-siphons, two of them developed cracks in the cane at the bend. Expected since it is just plastic and several years of use.

There are also a couple of sizes. Did you get the small diameter one.

I have used auto-siphons for 8+ years and never had problems other than the cracked cane. I would not be without one.....

That ^ is essential!
The rubber seal deforms when stored inside the outer tube. It may restore to its original shape, it's rubber, if left out for a few days or longer.

Assemble right before use, and take apart before storing again.

Now some are just bad.

Although I have 2, I never use them. I like my stainless racking cane...

I haven't used an auto siphon in a couple years. I ruined several batches this way until I realized all the bubbles going through the thing were air. I felt like an idiot that I hadn't figured it out sooner. I pitched it then and I've tried two or three other siphons since then, all of which worked fine and were some variation of a stainless racking cane with silicone tubing. I'd recommend you look at some of those options and don't go back to the auto-siphon crap.

I'm at 8+ years but only 107 batches. All were transferred once with an autosiphon and have never ruined any of them. At least not due to the autosiphon.
Ditto. But until I learned that darned bottling bucket spigot disassembled, I had some issues. None with the autosiphon tho. I am *VERY* fastidious about rinsing/cleaning *IMMEDIATELY* after using things however.

From what I've read in this thread so far.

Some people do seem happy with theirs, awesome.

Problems posted:
1. Cracks develop in them eventually.
2. Need to put Star-san or something on top of the piston to keep it from sucking air. Sounds like extra work.
3. Be sure to store it disassembled. Sounds like more extra work.

My copper racking cane is at least 20 years old. It hangs on a wire rack in my brew closet. It works. Think I'll stick with it.

All the Best,
D. White

I have three plastic auto siphons and the stainless steel one. The SS one doesn’t work very well, it’s slow and takes a number of pumps to get it going. I bought it when it was first released and I had a 10% code. Talk about a waste of money.

https://www.brewsssential.com/

Edit: The one nice thing about it is cleaning and sanitizing is really easy.

I have probably 10 canes, haven’t used one yet...

Problems posted:
2. Need to put Star-san or something on top of the piston to keep it from sucking air. Sounds like extra work.

My copper racking cane is at least 20 years old. It hangs on a wire rack in my brew closet. It works. Think I'll stick with it.

All the Best,
D. White

I am sorry you had a bad experience, that always stinks. Definitely stick w what works for you.

[...] and the stainless steel one. [...] Talk about a waste of money. [...] The one nice thing about it is cleaning and sanitizing is really easy.
And you can siphon near boiling hot wort with it. Now why would anyone want to do that...?

Here's why:
At our yearly homebrew club campout 2 guys brewed a Pale Ale, siphoned the boiling hot wort from the kettle into a keg, which they chilled in the creek. When it was around 90F they pitched Kveik into it, and put it out in the sun to ferment for 3 days. They then chilled and forced/burst carbonated it. Dropped in a dry hop bag. We all drank it that night. Was pretty decent actually, and fairly clear. An above average Pale Ale.

Problems posted:

All the Best,
D. White

Extra work = 2-3 seconds......

I ruined several batches this way until I realized all the bubbles going through the thing were air.

There are a couple of different tips/tricks on how to get the beer flowing without bubbles. Unfortunately, these often get lost in the volume of "I hate auto-siphons" and "honestly, just start kegging" replies. But, FWIW, I do find those tips/tricks to be valid and useful.

That ^ is essential!
The rubber seal deforms when stored inside the outer tube. It may restore to its original shape, it's rubber, if left out for a few days or longer.

Assemble right before use, and take apart before storing again.

FWIW, there are (at least) two styles of auto-siphons: one can be taken fully apart, one appears to be sealed top/bottom and I can't find a way to remove the inner tube (yes, I have one of each at the moment).

For the ones that come fully apart, @kh54s10 's advice matches what I've experienced.

Back