Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat2Pompadore

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping to get some efficiency questions answered. I finally switched over to all grain, so happy I did. I brewed a Scottish 80 type for my first one. I researched for a bit on the beer I wanted to go with and put it together.
21 # of 2 row
2# roasted barley
1# Vienna
1# caramel 40

I boiled 14 gallons and ended with 12. My target was 1.052 OG at 75%
I am using the beer recipe calculator app. My reading came out to 1.060. According to the app I am running at 89% efficiency. My question is can this be true? I was shooting for a 5% ABV but it looks like I will be closer to 6%+.
I still have some learning to do but what a great new experience.

Welcome to a whole new world!

With BrewersFriend, I'm calculating your bill out at about 79% brew house efficiency, but at 75%, the estimated OG IS 1.057. That's using a 14 gallon boil and 12 gallons into the fermenter. Still a nice return and at just under 6%, still fitting for the style. Bear in mind different software can give you different results, so just find something that works for you and go with it.

One thing I'd encourage is taking copious amounts of notes... every measurement you can while you dial-in your system. Software like BeerSmith can be incredibly accurate when it has solid information on your systems' volumes, mash efficiencies etc. Once you've got your system dialed-in and you start hitting recipe numbers, it makes it so much easier to predict how recipes will turn out and some of those measurements may not be necessary anymore as they'll be the same for each recipe.

With 2 pounds of roasted barley, I'd guess you made a stout and not an 80+/- but it looks good to me anyway.

If you did get a higher than expected efficiency, that does happen. If you want a 1.052 Scottish, you could always add some distilled or reverse osmosis water to get to the original recipe. If you're happy with the higher ABV from what you did, that's ok too. Either way will be fine, it's what you want to do.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah the wort was darker than anticipated. We will see where it ends up when I get it tapped. It was definitely a fun brew day. If this doesn't come out as the 80, I will adjust to get it right.

As far as style. The usual usage of roasted barley is under 3%. That would be about 0.75 lbs max for this recipe.

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some efficiency questions answered. I finally switched over to all grain, so happy I did. I brewed a Scottish 80 type for my first one. I researched for a bit on the beer I wanted to go with and put it together.
21 # of 2 row
2# roasted barley
1# Vienna
1# caramel 40

I boiled 14 gallons and ended with 12. My target was 1.052 OG at 75%
I am using the beer recipe calculator app. My reading came out to 1.060. According to the app I am running at 89% efficiency. My question is can this be true? I was shooting for a 5% ABV but it looks like I will be closer to 6%+.
I still have some learning to do but what a great new experience.

How many gallons were you aiming for? The more water you boil off, the higher the gravity will be. If you aimed for 12 and got 12, then yes, your efficiency is higher than anticipated.

I am going to go back through my recipe sources. I must have missed something along the way. I think since I bought enough grain to brew three 12 gallon batches, I forgot to separate the roasted barley out for each. Back to it I guess.

After a few days and critiques from friends and the Wife. I have a most excellent PORTER!

Back to the drawing board on an 80 schilling recipe.

Latest posts

Back