Scottish ale yeast dated 6/22/10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebaynote

Reaction score
Quick noob question, sorry. I'm making an 11/11/11 wee heavy this wknd. The scottish wyeast 1728 is from june an the OG on the beer is roughly 1.100. Will it be enough to make a 2L starter on a stir plate or should I bump it up? Appreciate any help.

You aren't adjusting it correctly. There are a lot of parameters you have to set according to your setup.

Since the calculator assumes there is very minimal viability with that package date (around 10%), it's calculating big starter and multiple vials are needed, even if you have a stir plate. I would be to begin it with a .5-1L starter. Let that ferment out then step it up another 2-3L. The initial starter will ensure you have a good, viable population to work with once you pitch it into the big starter. That should get you into the range that the calculator suggests .

Definitely step it up like gritsak says. You get more yeast that way with less total wort.

I agree with gritsak but would take it one step further for a beer that big. Go with a gallon starter after what grit suggested.

Latest posts

Back