Scottish Ale with English yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
So I tend to plan my next few brews ahead of time, and in the near future I'm looking at an English IPA fermented with WLP023 (essex Ale Platinum Strain). After that I'm going to do a Scottish Parti-gyle. Has anyone fermented a Scotch Ale and/or Scottish 70 with English yeast with favorable results?

(After the Scottish experiment I plan on doing a barley wine of undetermined origins, so it might be nice to use the same Essex yeast again!)

Wlp023 is the Burton strain. It is pretty fruity and has an ester character that I wouldn't want in a Scottish ale. It's not clean enough. You want to ferment cold with a clean yeast. A cal ale yeast could work or maybe nottingham or wyeast 1007 if you are against using the Scottish yeast.

So I tend to plan my next few brews ahead of time, and in the near future I'm looking at an English IPA fermented with WLP023 (essex Ale Platinum Strain). After that I'm going to do a Scottish Parti-gyle. Has anyone fermented a Scotch Ale and/or Scottish 70 with English yeast with favorable results?

(After the Scottish experiment I plan on doing a barley wine of undetermined origins, so it might be nice to use the same Essex yeast again!)

You need something that is going to finish clean. The scottish yeast character is not going to be evident if you go with an English or American strain, IMO. You can achieve the clean profile by fermenting cool to prevent esters and then allowing plenty of time for the yeast to clean up, but you will still be lacking the typical Scottish character. IMO.

Alright, looks like I'll stick with the Edinburgh yeast for the Scottish brews.

Clarification: I meant I'll be using the WLP022, not 023. Not that it matters too much!

Back