Scottish Ale - Sound Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heferly

Reaction score
a couple weeks ago, without thinking, picked up a few pounds of pre-crushed crystals, so thought to get rid of the extras in a scottish ale (somewhere around 80\-?)

gonna brew this up this weekend, thought i'd put it out here to see if i'm on the right track...have only created a few recipes, so pretty unsure of myself haha

BY THE SEAT OF MY KILT ALE

Recipe Type: Parial
Yeast: Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III)
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.015 (~5.22%)
IBU: ~21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: ~26
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10-14 at 64-68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Optional

Extracts:
5.0 pounds Plain Light DME

Grains:
1.0 lbs Munich Malt
0.50 lbs Crystal 20L
0.50 lbs Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs Crystal 60L
2.0 oz UK Chocolate

Hops:
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (6.0%; 60 min)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (15 min)
½ Whirfloc Tablet (10 min)

Steep at 154 deg for 40 min; sparge with 170 deg water for 10 min. Boil approximately 1 qt of ‘first runnings’ to half qt for carmelization; add to boil at 20 min.

Top off to OG or 5 gal

thanks!

I haven't brewed a scottish ale before, but if you are going to caramelize the first runnings I think the crystal is unnecessary.

I have one planned for the summer that is probably going to be all crisp malt, kettle caramelizing, and maybe a few ounces of dark malt for color.

That seems like a bit too much crystal. maybe 8oz of the 60L, 4 chocolate, and a few ounces of smoked.

well, i love the maltiness of a scottish ale, my thinking was, without any darker crystals, carmelizing would work out.

think it would be too sweet? i've never reduced anything outside of cooking...

anyone else offer any input?

thinking of hitting the LHBS today, don't want to brew up a 'mistake' :drunk:

Check out Jamil's episode on scottish. Your on the right track, but along with some lighter-mid range crystal, I'd throw in some darker crystal malt to give more raisin/plum flavor. He said that it's easier to get a good malt flavor using crystal malts, than carmelization. For base malt, preferably british pale malt, MO or otherwise. Munich will help, if you can't find a british extract. You can do the chocolate or even a dash of roasted barley. Aromatic malt is a good idea also. A lot of things said to mash higher, and ferment lower. Like 156-158 and ferment@ 60-64. But if you go for 1.5lbs of crystal you might mash a little lower. He also stressed to age well, like 4-6 months.

Hope that helps. I've been looking into this style for a while, and am excited to brew it. This is all just info I've heard or read. I love scotch ales! Good luck!

thanks chapa

i like the idea of aromatic. my original intents were to get rid of the excess crystals, i love the style, and i already have a hefe planned for my other primary. i think i'll mash on the lower end then.

maybe something like this?

Extracts:
3.0 pounds Plain Light DME

Grains:
3.0 lbs Marris Otter
0.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.50 lbs Crystal 20L
0.50 lbs Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs Crystal 60L
2.0 oz UK Chocolate

can't mash more than that, but i think the malts would come through ok

heferly said:
thanks chapa

i like the idea of aromatic. my original intents were to get rid of the excess crystals, i love the style, and i already have a hefe planned for my other primary. i think i'll mash on the lower end then.

maybe something like this?

Extracts:
3.0 pounds Plain Light DME

Grains:
3.0 lbs Marris Otter
0.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.50 lbs Crystal 20L
0.50 lbs Crystal 40L
0.50 lbs Crystal 60L
2.0 oz UK Chocolate

can't mash more than that, but i think the malts would come through ok

Looks good, I still really suggest if you do all the crystal, to throw some darker crystal, like a c-120. Especially if you haven't bought it yet, and have the choice. Maybe 20, 60, and 120 so you really get the whole spectrum. Either way I'm sure you'll have a great scotch ale. You are using a scottish yeast right?

Edit: I see you are using 1318, looks good. The low end of the temp range for that yeast says 64, so I'd stick in that ball park, 64-65 to make sure it comes out clean.

Man now I really want to get my scotch ale going!

yep, 1318. i have other plans for that strain after this batch. i appreciate the suggestions..i'll probably grab some 120 for the dark fruit part.

get cracking on your ale! :mug:

Back