Scottish Ale calculations off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorbarose

Reaction score
I'm using the QBrew program for my caclulations. It says my OG should be 1.064, and my final should be 1.016. I got 1.054 as my OG. It looks like i'm going to have a FG of 1.018. I'm sure the calculations are off cause not all of the exact grains i used are listed in the data base to choose from. What is Dark Munich equivalent to? Flaked barley? According to the Clone Brews book by Szamatulski, their recommended OG and FG are more in line with what I got. what do you think?

You add up the points and divide by your final volume. For example with a simple recipe using 10# of pilsner malt giving you 36pts/lb = 360 points of potential gravity. If your mash efficiency is 75% you only get 270 points (360*0.75) in your boil kettle. If your final boil volume is 5.5 gallons you have 270 points divided by 5.5 giving you 49pts/gal or a starting gravity of 1.049.

GT

Back