Scotch Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sulfuriois

Reaction score
Brand new brewer here with question about yeast. For my second brew I've purchased an Old Chub clone from a nearby homebrew shop. However they didn't have the White labs scotch ale yeast in stock so they sent me home with Fermentis sa-05 dry ale yeast. My question I guess is should I look elsewhere for the recommended yeast or just go with the dry yeast? Being the noob brewer that I am I just trusted the guy at the homebrew shop that said it would be fine.

Thanks!

Brand new brewer here with question about yeast. For my second brew I've purchased an Old Chub clone from a nearby homebrew shop. However they didn't have the White labs scotch ale yeast in stock so they sent me home with Fermentis sa-05 dry ale yeast. My question I guess is should I look elsewhere for the recommended yeast or just go with the dry yeast? Being the noob brewer that I am I just trusted the guy at the homebrew shop that said it would be fine.

Thanks!

You are better of with a dry yeast since you are a new brewer...they are very forgiving and easy to work with, when you move up to liquid yeast, you will have a smaller fermenting range that wont be as forgiving if you go out of temp for a few hours...caution on dry yeast, they are very explosive and usually die down within 48 hours, so I recommend a blow off tube and that you dont mess with it when you see vey little activity!

I've brewed with sa-05, and other Fermentis dry yeasts a few times and I've been happy with the results.

Make sure to rehydrate the yeast before you start to brew for best results.

I see a lot of recommendations to use US-05/1056/001 for the Wee Heavy style. I prefer the Wyeast Scottish Ale (haven't used the White Labs one). You want a clean profile, and the yeast they gave you has a clean profile. Now, if you're really worried about it being a clone, you might want to get the right yeast, but as far as the overarching style, it'll be fine to use what you've got.

+1 on both above, especially on re-hydrating.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just go ahead and go with the yeast they gave me then. I'm still just trying to get my process down so getting the beers somewhat close is just fine for now.

Although it sounds like I need to come up with a blow off hose since its likely to be a little more aggressive this time.

Back