Scotch Ale Yeast Pref...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I'll be brewing my 1st Scotch Ale soon, there are a couple of yeast choices:
Wyeast 1728 & White Labs WLP028. I'm just wondering if those of you with experience with brewing Scotch Ales & the mentioned yeast strains have a preference & if so, why? Do you use another strain & if so, why?
Regards, GF.

I have no preference. I would use whichever one was cheaper, or if the same price, then the 1728 because I like smackpacks. They are supposedly identical yeast strains or very very very close. They are a "mosaic" strain which basically means there are no other substitutions on this planet -- these two yeasts are very unique strains with respect to DNA and nothing else comes close. On a good day, either one of these will provide a very very slight hint of smoky flavor that no other yeasts can do. Sometimes you won't pick up on it though but it's still good yeast.

I have used wlp028 twice with good results. I want to try to use it in some malty British ales as well.

I have heard if fermented below 60° this yeast can give some dark cherry flavors, kind of like us-05 and peach flavors at lower temps.

I generally use Imperials "Tartan" which works pretty damn good for the helping the flavour and I love it.

Haven't tried those two though so who knows if I would like them better or not, though Tartan is supposed to be comparable/related to 1728.

Back