Scotch Ale (80/-): How long in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakewoodHomeBrew

Reaction score
I've got a Scotch Ale (80/-) in Primary right now that I plan on racking to secondary and aging. I'm looking for some outside thoughts or confirmation of my thought process - brief details below:

OG: 1.063
SG (current): 1.017
FG (desired): 1.014
Length in Primary (thus far): 11 days
Yeast: WLP005 British Ale

I took my first gravity reading 7 days in once the airlock bubbling had slowed to less than one bubble/ 20 minutes. That reading was 1.021. Per White Labs, WLP005 has a tendency to settle out and my need some rousing, so I gave the primary a couple of good sloshings and within a few hours, the bubbling had resumed at a 1 per minute, and then down to a once per 5 minute rate. I checked the gravity again 2 days later (Monday) and read 1.017. Great! The sloshing seemed to have worked - so once again I gave the primary a mighty good sloshing and went about my business.

I checked my gravity again last night (2 days later), but alas, I'm still @ 1.017 (I had been hoping to get down to 1.014). Dropping from 1.063 to 1.017 gives me an apparent attenuation of 71% which is within the range (67-74%) of the yeast. A bit of additional info: I pitched a 800mL starter which, per BeerSmith, was undersized for the gravity. As such, I'm feeling like this is the end and it's time to move it.

I'm not entirely unhappy with this stopping point - in fact tasting the hydrometer reading tells me this will be a delicious brew. But as I said at the beginning - I'm just looking for some other opinions.

Cheers,
J

Have you tried giving it another one of those trademark "mighty good sloshings?". I'm no scientist, but if you had decent results from that first one, try it again and just let the bugger sit on the yeast until it gets there. Maybe move it to a warmer environment?

It's had two sloshings already. :)

The majority of the fermentation has taken place between 68-70F. I moved it last night to a slightly warmer room in anticipation of racking. I'm guessing it's 2-4 degrees warmer - it feels that way, but I don't have a thermometer there.

Yes, but I'm afraid it was a bit on the small side @ 800mL, no stir plate. I also may have rushed it a bit - the starter was still in full activity when I pitched it. From what I've read, it seems I would've been better off to pitch after it had peaked and started to slow down.

I'm already thinking on a modification to this recipe to push it up into the Wee Heavy range, and for that I plan on a two stage starter with a stir plate (which I will be building soon).

I appreciate your input!

Was this all grain or extract. If it was all grain, and you mash temp was off, 1.017 might be all that you're going to get. Either way, I just kegged a Scottish /70 and let it sit in the primary for a little over 4 weeks. Let it go for a bit and see if it comes down. I don't see any problem with pitching the starter at high krausen.

Let it sit a while longer unless you're in a rush to finish by x date. You'll find many guys here dont even take a reading until after 2 weeks and they only move to secondary for aging or dry-hopping. I love a good 3-4 week primary on bigger beers and have a Scottish Wee Heavy in primary right now that I wont move for at least 4 weeks.

Ok - I decided I don't NEED to move it to secondary just yet...I'm being impatient. So I'm taking the advice here and giving it some more time. Just to give the yeast another chance to drop the last few points, I shook the **** out of it to get it back in suspension, and moved it back to my fermentation room. Heading on vacation, so I won't be checking it for a week - which is probably best for me anyway.

Thanks all for the input. Cheers!

Back