Scored a bunch of 15.5 gal. sankes off CL to ferment in... How do I clean them out??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firenze

Reaction score
I have a marks keg/carboy washer but these things have been sitting outside for who knows how long. Will an hour or two on the keg washer be enough to get all the crap out of it for fermenting in? Should I boil a bunch of water in it before I use them? Any other tips or techniques?

Good lord! You have a Mark's keg washer? How big is your homebrewery?

I would pull the spears and look inside. I would rinse and PBW soak followed by an acid wash.

I'd fill it with pbw or oxy and hot water and let it soak. Than run it on the keg washer.

not sure what an acid wash is...

Some sort of acid to take care of any beer stone that may have formed. You could probably just use beer line cleaner that is acid based if you are really concerned. Otherwise PBW should be ok.

Also, I thought of this:

ForumRunner_20131028_000644.png

not the homebrew keg washer, so disregard that size comment.

Some sort of acid to take care of any beer stone that may have formed. You could probably just use beer line cleaner that is acid based if you are really concerned. Otherwise PBW should be ok.

Also, I thought of this:

View attachment 156695

not the homebrew keg washer, so disregard that size comment.

no idea what that is but I am pretty sure I need one

no idea what that is but I am pretty sure I need one

That is a commercial keg washer. Runs about $14k from Mark's Design and Metalworks.

See how I got mixed up? Had brewery plans on the mind...

Back