Scaling recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbrews

Reaction score
Hello all, I am wondering about how to scale recipes up or down. I assume there is more to it than halving or doubling a given recipe. At this point I am doing extract brewing and would like to scale 5 gallon recipes I find to 2 1/2 gallon batches. Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie!

Your best bet is to use some brew software. Some is available online others require a small investment. BeerSmith, for example, will cost you under $20 but will give you considerable flexibility as your brewing demands grow.
With BS you can enter your equipment profile and adapt recipes to your needs.

As far as I'm aware, it is as simple as scaling it to the same ingredient ratios of the original recipe.

The only thing that will be a little different is your water-supply, since your boil off rate is the same whether you're making 10 gallons or 2.5

Your best bet is to use some brew software. Some is available online others require a small investment. BeerSmith, for example, will cost you under $20 but will give you considerable flexibility as your brewing demands grow.
With BS you can enter your equipment profile and adapt recipes to your needs.

I would agree! I recently purchased beersmith & love it. I like being able to scale recipes & convert them from extract to all-grain or vice versa.

I use Brewers friend and it has a scale function. It's probably no where as smooth as beer smith but works.

I make 2.5G versions of 5- and 5.5G batches all the time. I just divide the main ingredients in half. No calculator necessary!

:)

Back