Scales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Reaction score
I am just curious as to what everyone is using to weigh out their ingredients.

I am looking to start buying in bulk, and obviously I will need a scale. EBay has several different digital scales that I think should serve the purpose, for as little as $22. Supposed to weigh down to 1/10 oz (need that for hops), and up to 35 or so pounds, which should handle any imaginable grain bill. Any reason why this won't work well?

Look at baby scales at goodwill or flea markets they go to 30lbs and great for base grain.
My wife got me two of them for a $1.99 each!

I use a harbor freight scale. They sell two different ones that would be usefull for homebrewing which are a white and yellow one or a black one. I bought the black scale that they sell as it's more designed for small masses which I need for water additions. They are around $10-15 for either if you buy them on sale. I love the scale I bought from them and use it ALL the time.

I really like the scales from MyWeigh. I have the KD-7000 and it is an excellent scale for the kitchen and also my brewing. It will run up to 7kg in 1g increments and is well made. I have a lab balance for water salt additions.

I really want to get one of the My Weigh HD-150 shipping scales. 150 lbs capacity and readability of 0.05 lbs. you can get them for about $120 if you look around.

I use a #50 dial face postage scale for grain. It has a flat top that I can set my bucket on.

For hops, water additions etc...I use this from norther brewer:

image_598.jpg

It works great but chews up the batteries. I have to remember to take them out between brewdays or they are dead the next time. Anyone else notice this with this scale or did I just get a bad one?

I use a salter brand 7lb scale (and it does not chew up batteries).

I scoop my grain with a can that holds right at 2lbs, so I just weigh each scoop. I had it already in my kitchen, but it is likely cheap at Bed, Bath and Beyond or amazon.

I don't personally have need for a big scale, and I don't weigh whole batches of grain.

YMMV

I have a 500 gm analog diet scale and an old baby scale. What you are looking at would replace both.

I use this one purchased from Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GAWRS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it weighs/converts in english & metric and is good up to 11lbs.

axr

I have one very similar to this. I weigh all small amounts in grams since 1 g < .1 oz. I don't mill my own grains yet so I have no need to do that but I got this scale because of its 11 pound capacity so that I can use it when the time comes that I weigh grains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the input!

It seems as though what I am looking at should do everything I need it to as well as anything else mentioned, so I think that I will put in an order this evening.

bump for the Escali Primo. but i use something smaller to weigh hops if i am doing half (2.5g) batches. so i have a cheap ebay chinese-made jewelry scale that weighs down to 0.001oz

Another endorsement for this one. I am very pleased with it.

I use a regular digital personal weight scale when I get the big bags in and a $20 dollar food scale from walgreens( weighs in lbs,oz, and grams up to 15lbs) on brewday

Back