Scaled Back Pliny Recipe - feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I posted this thread in the recipe section yesterday but didn't get any responses :( so I thought I would post here as there's usually more traffic... Any help would be appreciated.

Hey all, I want to make a IIPA for my next 5 gal Partial Mash next and I loosely based it on several Pliny recipes I've found online. I also wanted to scale it back to have a bit less alcohol so I could have more than 1 per sitting :)

Here's the recipe:

2-Row (US) 5.0 lb 42%
Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (US) 8.0 oz 4%
Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) 5 oz 2%

Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light 5.0 lb 42%
Dextrose (Corn Sugar) 1.0 lb 8%

Columbus (US) 2.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 45 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Columbus (US) 1.0 oz 30 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Simcoe (US) 2.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Columbus (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 15.0%
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo (US) 0.5 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%

It comes out to about 7.5% Alc, and according to Brewtoad, it has 141 IBUs. I'm wondering it some of the experts out there could tell if it would be well balanced with my hop additions, or if it will be too bitter?

I plan on using wyeast 1056 with an appropriate sized starter.

I know there are some differences from this and the Pliny recipes I've found, like the two part dry hopping schedule they use, but I thought I would simplify things for this recipe. My goal is not to replicate Pliny but make a excellent IIPA.

Any feedback would be helpful, thanks in advance!

No idea what Pliny taste like or its ibus, but I'd probably take out one oz at the sixty min boil, for my taste. Did you alter your hop additions from the original recipe? Changing your malt/grain bill will effect hop utilization.

Yeah, I've never had Pliny myself either but hear how fantastic it is...

From several of the recipes I've seen, the alc is about 8.5% and have over 1 lb of hops (some recipes with significantly more).

As for my adjustments, I've removed some of the malt to bring the alc % down to about 7.5 and reduced the hop bill as well (quite a bit in comparison to some recipes).

I originally had 2.5 oz of Columbus for the 60 min, but scaled it back to 2oz. As you mentioned, I was also thinking of scaling it back a bit more but not sure how it will effect the balance.

What do you think?

I brewed Pliny for my first ever AG batch. It was absolutely fantastic. I'd love to try doing a 'scaled down' version of it. While I'm not yet experienced enough to give advice on this recipe, please keep us up to date as to the final recipe you decide on as well as how it turns out.

Andy, I've seen several Pliny recipes floating around online, could post the one you brewed? I'm curious to see how it compares to my "scaled down" version. Especially the hop schedule.

When scaling down the Pliny make sure you don't forget that one of the best things about Pliny is the bitterness. I've had it and it is perfect!

Back