South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cold crashing a 5 gallon batch of Space Dust clone I call "Cosmic Dirt". Yesterday, I brewed my first hazy IPA. I missed the OG by 20 points ... I may be drinking a lite beer instead of an IPA. We will see how it turns out.
What was the grist? I brew a lot of hazies and sometimes my efficiency takes a hit if my portion of oats is super high.

Traveling, I got my first hazy IPA in secondary right now. Do you cold crash, strain, filter?
I absolutely cold crash. And I use whirlfloc/moss in the boil kettle. But otherwise I don't strain/filter. Not really sure how I could anyway without introducing way more O2 than I am comfortable with.

I haven't brewed a hazy IPA either. This one is my first. I'm trying to duplicate the hazy IPA I drank when touring brew houses in Ashville last spring. I found this recipe in Brewer's Friend and thought Id try it. I started the cold crash today. In my normal process, I cold crash 24 hours then drop in a gelatin fining for 24 hours then move to keg for forced carbonation then bottle or drink or both! I guess I'll do the same with this one.

Traveling, you're right. It's not flaked oats.

I haven't brewed a hazy IPA either. This one is my first. I'm trying to duplicate the hazy IPA I drank when touring brew houses in Ashville last spring. I found this recipe in Brewer's Friend and thought Id try it. I started the cold crash today. In my normal process, I cold crash 24 hours then drop in a gelatin fining for 24 hours then move to keg for forced carbonation then bottle or drink or both! I guess I'll do the same with this one.

Traveling, you're right. It's not flaked oats.
FWIW, I don't gelatin fin my NEIPAs, or really any other beer anymore.

What was the hazy in AVL you had? Was it from Burial?

I did cold crash the hazy ipa. It came out very well. Force carbonating it in the keg right now. The hazy I had in ashville was called a "strawberry milkshake." It was my first hazy IPA and I wasn't expecting that I would like strawberries in my beer. I'm convinced otherwise now. We made so many visits to breweries and bars that weekend, I don't remember which one served it :)

I'm getting ready to brew a standard pilsner I'm calling "Lawnmower Ale." It'll be something in a moderately low ABV to drink on a hot day. And it looks like I'll start a third batch of my City Honey Ale, the first 2 are gone.

I always cold crash my beers ever since ive been able to. Although im starting to wonder if the suck back through my air lock is hurting my beer. I tried capping my last batch of mango apfelwein instead of just moving the fermenter with the airlock into my freezer. It probably still sucked in or when i open it it will then suck in. Some people say they quit cold crashing before kegging to prevent small amount of oxidation from suck back. How do you guys cold crash?

I always cold crash my beers ever since ive been able to. Although im starting to wonder if the suck back through my air lock is hurting my beer. I tried capping my last batch of mango apfelwein instead of just moving the fermenter with the airlock into my freezer. It probably still sucked in or when i open it it will then suck in. Some people say they quit cold crashing before kegging to prevent small amount of oxidation from suck back. How do you guys cold crash?
I use a mylar balloon filled with co2 attached to the gas post in the lid on my fermenter. When it cools down and creates negative pressure, it pulls in the co2 from the balloon. Got the idea from Brulosophy, with their "bru-loon" idea.

I use a mylar balloon filled with co2 attached to the gas post in the lid on my fermenter. When it cools down and creates negative pressure, it pulls in the co2 from the balloon. Got the idea from Brulosophy, with their "bru-loon" idea.
I didn't play attention for many brews and later figured out I was getting some suck back. So lately. I've capped the fermentor, crashed it, then open the cap to the suck back moments before I move it to the keg for forced carbonation. Less than a half hour of oxygen exposure but still keeping a blanket of co2 in the fermenter has produced no ill effects I can detect.

My DIY RIMS pipe and pump worked really well as I brewed a 6 gallon batch of Lawnmower Ale today

Attachments

• 20190731_131704.jpg
    20190731_131704.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
I didn't play attention for many brews and later figured out I was getting some suck back. So lately. I've capped the fermentor, crashed it, then open the cap to the suck back moments before I move it to the keg for forced carbonation. Less than a half hour of oxygen exposure but still keeping a blanket of co2 in the fermenter has produced no ill effects I can detect.
What kind of vessel are you fermenting/cold crashing in?

FWIW, (and I hate to be that guy) but the "co2 blanket" doesn't exist. Gases readily mix, constantly, ideal gas law and all that nerdy stuff.

I'm cold crashing in the secondary fermenter. Regarding the blanket, I guess I should have paid more attention to the lectures on gasses in chemistry class.

What kind of vessel are you fermenting/cold crashing in?

FWIW, (and I hate to be that guy) but the "co2 blanket" doesn't exist. Gases readily mix, constantly, ideal gas law and all that nerdy stuff.

My DIY RIMS pipe and pump worked really well as I brewed a 6 gallon batch of Lawnmower Ale today

Nice! I tried my hand with a herms setup last brew. I bet the rims works a lot better

It's a speidel fermenter
Preventing suck back with Speidel fermenters is pretty easy. My standard set of steps for crashing:

1) replace airlock with gas post adapter
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions....l-Lock-Gas-In-with-Pressure-Relief-Valve.html

or

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Cornelius-Ball-Lock-Gas-Attachment.html

2) set CO2 reg to ~2 psi.
3) pressurize fermenter.
4) set thermostat no more than 10 degrees lower.
5) repeat step 3 & 4 until you reach your desired crash temp.

Woks like a charm.

Hey guys. I just wanted to say i went to the palmetto state brewers club meeting last night and had a blast! Got to meet some cool people and share some of my beer and got to talk a lot about beer. Drinking beer, meeting brewers and talking beer, almost as good as actually brewing! i guess i missed you Travelinglight

Hey guys. I just wanted to say i went to the palmetto state brewers club meeting last night and had a blast! Got to meet some cool people and share some of my beer and got to talk a lot about beer. Drinking beer, meeting brewers and talking beer, almost as good as actually brewing! i guess i missed you Travelinglight
Damn. Like the one meeting I've missed in a year! Glad you enjoyed it.

Preventing suck back with Speidel fermenters is pretty easy. My standard set of steps for crashing:

1) replace airlock with gas post adapter
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions....l-Lock-Gas-In-with-Pressure-Relief-Valve.html

or

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Cornelius-Ball-Lock-Gas-Attachment.html

2) set CO2 reg to ~2 psi.
3) pressurize fermenter.
4) set thermostat no more than 10 degrees lower.
5) repeat step 3 & 4 until you reach your desired crash temp.

Woks like a charm.

Sorry I'm just now responding. I'm going to try this on my next brew. But stupid questions first ...

Why only 10 degrees at a time?

What's wrong with setting a target temp on the beer frig and just let it do its thing?

With each sequence, are you maintaining 2 psi or increasing it 2 psi with each temperature cycle? I suspect you are just maintaining but I thought I should still ask.

When and where is the next one? It's time for me to make a trip to soda city, I guess.
PSB meetings are always the second Monday of the month. It's typically in the back room at Zorba's on St. Andrews Rd. We've been bouncing around some at some breweries. As far as I know, October is back at Zorba's.

Sorry I'm just now responding. I'm going to try this on my next brew. But stupid questions first ...

What's wrong with setting a target temp on the beer frig and just let it do its thing?

With each sequence, are you maintaining 2 psi or increasing it 2 psi with each temperature cycle? I suspect you are just maintaining but I thought I should still ask.
Not my post, but I would assume the gradual crash is to reduce the amount of/severity of suck back and negative pressure; by gradually reducing it gives the fermenter time to equalize/mitigate negative pressure.

You would, in fact, have a blanket of CO2; by putting an airlock in, your fermenting beer purged air out by replacing it with more dense CO2. Since you have an airlock, new air isn't coming in to contaminate the now-CO2 (and other byproduct gasses) impregnated headspace.

Not my post, but I would assume the gradual crash is to reduce the amount of/severity of suck back and negative pressure; by gradually reducing it gives the fermenter time to equalize/mitigate negative pressure.

The other benefit is that it prevents a stronger temperature swing in the freezer/keggerator. If you have a 5 gallons of fermenting/cold-crashing beer, it'll have a very high temperature inertia. The freezer will over compensate to lower that mass (especially if you're like me and use a thermowell), which may very well result in your temperatures hitting the low 20's / high teens. This is mitigated somewhat by using a smaller vessel (i.e. paper towel taped over the probe to attach it to a can of beer), but that doesn't tell you what your wort is actually doing. I've inadvertantly froze wort this way.

First, I don't have complete faith in the accuracy of the CO2 regulator when set to ~2 PSI. I'm worried about pressure creep. I don't have the confidence to "set and forget". I like to check on it. Also, in my case, I typically have 10-20 gallons at a time and it takes a while to drop 10 degrees. I like to document every aspect from yeast starter to final kegging with date and time.

The other benefit is that it prevents a stronger temperature swing in the freezer/keggerator. If you have a 5 gallons of fermenting/cold-crashing beer, it'll have a very high temperature inertia. The freezer will over compensate to lower that mass (especially if you're like me and use a thermowell), which may very well result in your temperatures hitting the low 20's / high teens. This is mitigated somewhat by using a smaller vessel (i.e. paper towel taped over the probe to attach it to a can of beer), but that doesn't tell you what your wort is actually doing. I've inadvertantly froze wort this way.
This is also a very good reason. Since I measure temperature from a thermowell in the center of the fermenter, the temperature will undershoot the target even though the compressor shuts off when the target temp is reached.

October's PSB meeting is back at Zorba's. In November we will be at Cottontown Brew Lab.

Awesome! So im going to try to make both of those if possible. Decembers might be hard for me to make. I can request relief of overtime except the month of december. So how do i join PSB?

Finally got my brewery set up and repaired the install on my hosehead (which looks like they shut down business for the time being) so I'll be up and brewing at the new digs in Texas in no time.

It's like SC, but somehow more hot and humid, and the water isn't nearly as delightfully soft.

I just joined. I'll be there in October

Awesome man! I think i should make it as well. So im going to brew on sunday, the day before. What do you guys think about an amber ale. Projected Og 1.051, srm 14, 39 ibu, 5% abv? Im gonna brew a 10 gallon batch?

Finally got my brewery set up and repaired the install on my hosehead (which looks like they shut down business for the time being) so I'll be up and brewing at the new digs in Texas in no time.

It's like SC, but somehow more hot and humid, and the water isn't nearly as delightfully soft.

I dont believe it. It was 100 here on friday. Remind me never to even visit texas unless its like winter. Also, are you talking about your home brewery? It sounds more like a big brewery. Ive heard texas has hard laws for breweries. Idk i saw it in a documentary once, maybe the laws have changed since then

The average morning up until today since I got here was around 80 degrees and 90% humidity at 0630. We had 9 total days in September with a high below 95 (we had 1 day at 90). At least the Beef-based BBQ game is strong around here, though Carolina's pig-based BBQ can't be beat (we drove through Memphis on the way down and were disappointed).

And yes, home brewery; nothing too crazy yet. The SD card was corrupted in the raspberry pi controller, though another user on HBT hooked me up with a new image, and it looks like it's working fine.

Awesome man! I think i should make it as well. So im going to brew on sunday, the day before. What do you guys think about an amber ale. Projected Og 1.051, srm 14, 39 ibu, 5% abv? Im gonna brew a 10 gallon batch?
I'm conditioning an ale right now. Og 1.054, Srm 6, ibu 36, ABV 7 .... I guess I went a little too heavy on the grain bill [emoji848][emoji16]

I'm conditioning an ale right now. Og 1.054, Srm 6, ibu 36, ABV 7 .... I guess I went a little too heavy on the grain bill [emoji848][emoji16]

Running the PBW up to temp to clean the BK and mash tun right now for my first Texas beer: ~5.5 gallons of a Helles Export/Bock; 1.060 OG hopped to 23 ibu with magnun/hallertau/spalt. Hoping it will finish around 1.010 over the next month.

1.054 should be a delightful amount of body.

Latest posts

Back