South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great showing at PSBO, everyone. Quite a few ribbon winners in this thread.

Was that the one in November? I thought hard about entering it as I had a couple that I was very proud of but was not ready to pull the trigger. Talked with Kevin Saturday and I think I will definitely enter the next one on the calender.

Congrats to all of the winners!

Was that the one in November? I thought hard about entering it as I had a couple that I was very proud of but was not ready to pull the trigger. Talked with Kevin Saturday and I think I will definitely enter the next one on the calender.

Congrats to all of the winners!
It was December 3, but I think drop off deadline was in November. I had a 1st place American Stout, and a 3rd place Specialty IPA (NEIPA). I was worried about the NEIPA because it was super green and honestly not even fully carbed/conditioned in the keg. But I had to get it in.

Chiming in. I live downtown Columbia, and have been brewing since July 2016. I do all grain mostly on a propane and cooler setup. I have a keezer with 6 taps. Great to know there are some fellas nearby.

Chiming in. I live downtown Columbia, and have been brewing since July 2016. I do all grain mostly on a propane and cooler setup. I have a keezer with 6 taps. Great to know there are some fellas nearby.

Welcome! There are a number of great brewers locally. You should be able to meet several and expand your knowledge and experience x 10 fold. Ask for Kevin at DIY Brewhouse in the northeast near Sandhills. He is president of the Palmetto State Brewers Association and a great person to assist you with anything.

Welcome! I'm downtown as well, Rosewood area. I've got essentially the same setup as you. I brew mostly hops and mixed ferm sours, with some stouts sprinkled in as well.

Welcome! There are a number of great brewers locally. You should be able to meet several and expand your knowledge and experience x 10 fold. Ask for Kevin at DIY Brewhouse in the northeast near Sandhills. He is president of the Palmetto State Brewers Association and a great person to assist you with anything.
Kevin's reign is over! LOL. We had elections last month. Kevin is the new VP of Education. His wife, Wendy, is the new president.

Welcome! I'm downtown as well, Rosewood area. I've got essentially the same setup as you. I brew mostly hops and mixed ferm sours, with some stouts sprinkled in as well.

Kevin's reign is over! LOL. We had elections last month. Kevin is the new VP of Education. His wife, Wendy, is the new president.

Wow! She had the better campaign. Hope he conceded with class!!

Just picked up a bag of 2-row and some hops from DIY. Kevin told me that the PHBA meeting this month is on 1-14-19, Monday. I am working on St Andrews Rd now and can probably get to the meetings more frequently, which means this will be my first. Hope to meet some of you guys there!

Just picked up a bag of 2-row and some hops from DIY. Kevin told me that the PHBA meeting this month is on 1-14-19, Monday. I am working on St Andrews Rd now and can probably get to the meetings more frequently, which means this will be my first. Hope to meet some of you guys there!
Nice! I feel like we already know each other, but it will be good to put a face with the name.

Hey @SHAIV I got a big box coming from Brew Hardware via UPS and the tracking says signature required! What the hell Bobby I didn't select that. But they won't let me change delivery (like, to hold at a location) before delivery is attempted? Does the old note on the door telling them to leave it work anymore?

Hey man. Um it depends on what it is. Obviously if its alcohol or a gun or anything over 5 grand that wont work but you can go online track it on the website and you should be able to do an electronic signature so they can leave it and you could even designate back door delivery if you so desired and dont have a large dog out back. Sometimes shippers do that for certain stuff. One time I delivered a mash tun to a guy who works on my route. He told me about it in advance i went in a few minutes early found it and stuck it on my truck and took it to his job and had him sign for it there

If that doesnt work today it may take a day to get it to work idk. But if they leave an info notice yes generally you can sign the back and they can leave it the next day. Make sure you read what the notice says it may be redirected to the nearest access point for the next day. Like possibly a Ups store thats nearby

Hey man. Um it depends on what it is. Obviously if its alcohol or a gun or anything over 5 grand that wont work but you can go online track it on the website and you should be able to do an electronic signature so they can leave it and you could even designate back door delivery if you so desired and dont have a large dog out back. Sometimes shippers do that for certain stuff. One time I delivered a mash tun to a guy who works on my route. He told me about it in advance i went in a few minutes early found it and stuck it on my truck and took it to his job and had him sign for it there

If that doesnt work today it may take a day to get it to work idk. But if they leave an info notice yes generally you can sign the back and they can leave it the next day

Thanks dude. I forgot I was a UPS My Choice member. I was able to go online and authorize release of the shipment.

Hey guys. I finally got around to brewing again yesterday after a while and i tried out the microwave grate to drain the hop spider. It worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion!
IMG_3252.JPG

As I continue to draw down my stash in prep for moving in 3 or 4 months, I figured I need to start planning for my future acquisitions (thinking a Coffin Keezer, made up halfway nice so that I can keep it in a public area instead of the garage...) and maybe a fruit press rigged up to act as a grain press. Apparently this is really big for Belgian brewers to ensure they're extracting all possible liquid from their spent grain.

Any thoughts on either?

As I continue to draw down my stash in prep for moving in 3 or 4 months, I figured I need to start planning for my future acquisitions (thinking a Coffin Keezer, made up halfway nice so that I can keep it in a public area instead of the garage...) and maybe a fruit press rigged up to act as a grain press. Apparently this is really big for Belgian brewers to ensure they're extracting all possible liquid from their spent grain.

Any thoughts on either?
I'm curious how you would do the fruit press. I assume you BIAB/MIAB? I'm just trying to figure out how you could incorporate the fruit press, over the kettle? But maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly. What about a bucket with a bunch of holes drilled, inside another bucket. Put the bag in the bucket with holes, then inside the other bucket, then press down? I'm just thinking out loud here...

So, I'll admit, I haven't seen them on the homebrew scale, and there seems to be a difference between a mash press and a mash filter press (which uses cloth membranes between plates full of grist), but, in essence, yes, a fancier version of two buckets with the bottom one having holes. HBT had a thread I saw a while ago where someone did just that, and it ended up causing wort to shoot out the top/sides.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/20-fruit-press.html?variant=WE102
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQFX11K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

These seem close to what I had in mind, with the idea being that chunks of the mash could be cycled/filtered through to avoid squeezing by hand an extremely hot and heavy bag full of grain into a bucket, and all the fun that entails.

The other problem I had with developing this concept on HBT is that most posters are both from 10 years ago, and are also claiming you'll extract tannins unnecessarily by applying pressure, which is demonstrably false, as tannin extraction is a function of mash pH.

TL: How'd your stout from back in August turn out?
Rounded out better than I had originally hoped. It finished out at 1.036 IIRC (10% ABV), which was a hair higher than I wanted. So I warmed it up, roused it, etc., but it was done. I threw it in a keg to bulk age, which is where it is now. But I'm about to rack it onto coffee and bourbon/oak. Well, actually I will probably only do about 3 gal on coffee/bourbon/oak and keep 2 gal clean.

Rounded out better than I had originally hoped. It finished out at 1.036 IIRC (10% ABV), which was a hair higher than I wanted. So I warmed it up, roused it, etc., but it was done. I threw it in a keg to bulk age, which is where it is now. But I'm about to rack it onto coffee and bourbon/oak. Well, actually I will probably only do about 3 gal on coffee/bourbon/oak and keep 2 gal clean.
That sounds pretty... Stout!

Hey guys. Its been a while. That stout does sound good. Ive actually been trying some stouts lately and enjoying them including epics big bad baptist. Sounds kind of similar to the batch you just described. Curious though when you add coffee to it how are you doing it? Cold brew? Or just put some beans in with the oak and bourbon?

Also i just wanted to show you guys my new wort pump i made last week
IMG_3623.JPG

0F00D319-1DA5-4480-8F99-1AEFF2F78E38.jpg

Theres also another build underway...

Hey guys. Its been a while. That stout does sound good. Ive actually been trying some stouts lately and enjoying them including epics big bad baptist. Sounds kind of similar to the batch you just described. Curious though when you add coffee to it how are you doing it? Cold brew? Or just put some beans in with the oak and bourbon?
I've never done the cold brew method. Too much room for error and too much tasting, dosing, and math IMO. I "dry bean" mine by hanging ~4oz coarsely crushed beans in a keg and racking the beer into said keg. That way I can taste with a picnic tap as it progresses. But I've never gone longer than 48 hours on beans.

I've never done the cold brew method. Too much room for error and too much tasting, dosing, and math IMO. I "dry bean" mine by hanging ~4oz coarsely crushed beans in a keg and racking the beer into said keg. That way I can taste with a picnic tap as it progresses. But I've never gone longer than 48 hours on beans.
On the blonde stout I recently brewed that is how I added the coffee, whole beans. Mine were loose in the fermenter (along with 4oz of cocao nibs). Awesome coffee aroma and flavor.

What is the benefit to measuring temperature on the outlet?

Im planning to use it for recirculating/whirlpooling. I removed my thermometer from my kettle and replaced it with another valve. I put it there because i had it and i will be whirlpooling while chilling so the benifit is i know what the temperature is while whirlpooling and chilling and heating as well. Also i think it looks cool lol

Im planning to use it for recirculating/whirlpooling. I removed my thermometer from my kettle and replaced it with another valve. I put it there because i had it and i will be whirlpooling while chilling so the benifit is i know what the temperature is while whirlpooling and chilling and heating as well. Also i think it looks cool lol

Actually, yea, that let's you know if a one pass/second pass will melt your fermenter or not :D

Not yet; I was debating on getting a 4 pack and using them to fill a growler for my boss who won our office's NHL season pool, but figured that'd be too mean.

I mean, as far as trying one for R&D; sometimes you want a nice, 5-year bottle conditioned imperial coffee stout, other times you want a 40 out of a paper bag. Different problems call for different solutions.

I remember hearing John kimmich say somewhere that occasionally he likes to drink a light beer from a big mainstream brewery. I cant remember exactly what he said but thats the gist

Ok so i built a ferment chamber. Its up and running but not quite finished yet. Heres a few shots of it. I only spent about $100 on it since i had plenty of screws on hand and i already had the ac unit basically brand new. What you guys think?
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG

Ok so i built a ferment chamber. Its up and running but not quite finished yet. Heres a few shots of it. I only spent about $100 on it since i had plenty of screws on hand and i already had the ac unit basically brand new. What you guys think?
View attachment 624553View attachment 624554View attachment 624555
Looks awesome! That's basically what I was planning to build until I found a perfect smaller chest freezer. Have you run some temp tests on it yet to see how cold you can get it and how well it maintains? Any insulation in the lid or on the floor? That would be my only questions. Great job though!

Looks awesome! That's basically what I was planning to build until I found a perfect smaller chest freezer. Have you run some temp tests on it yet to see how cold you can get it and how well it maintains? Any insulation in the lid or on the floor? That would be my only questions. Great job though!

Thanks man! Yes there is insulation in the lid and the floor. But i used an extra piece of plywood on both in the inside to hold it together better and i figured wood could support 3-4 fermenters better than the styrofoam insulation. Theres two layers of half inch styrofoam on the sides. I sealed it up with reflective duck tape and some window gap silicone. I did do some test runs. It held 40 deg temps well but would not do 30 deg! Lol i think it froze up! I got that inkbird thermometer in there to record max and min temps so i know how its performing. Its working wonders so far and now i can turn my chest freezer into a full blown keezer! Haha. Ill be brewing a session ipa tonight to test it out!

Back