Sayin' Hi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiB57

Reaction score
So I've been a member now for a little while, just reading and reading as much as I can. I have made a couple of (barely) drinkable beers with the Mr. Beer kit and am currently in my very first batch of "real" beer an IPA that my LHBS helped me with ingredients.

Since it's my first post, I thought I'd share with you my latest DIY project:
http://www.christophersmith.us/keg/

I plan on kegging my beer at some point, but I'll probably bottle at least me first few batches to make sure this is something I'll enjoy. On tap there is Yuengling Lager and Flying Fish Summer Ale (both "ok" beers but it's what my liquor store *ahh, the joys of living in NJ* had in stock when I finished my kit today.

Secondly a quick question, if anyone has read this far :) My IPA has been in the secondary for about 2.5 weeks now but it is still quite cloudy. There is a ton of trub (I think that's the right terminology) at the bottom the carboy but I can't see through the beer. Is this normal, or did I screw up somewhere? I'm probably going to bottle this weekend because I think I have a line on a couple of cases on bar-bottles that are cleaned already so they should be good to go. Also i wasn't positive if my beer ever fermented (no airlock activity, plastic primary but it appeared to be a good seal) but there was a kraussen ring before I racked to the secondary. Also the Hydrometer reading was much lower (it was not as high as I was told it would be before fermentation but I might have read it worng, ~1.029 but at racking time it was ~1.010.)

I figure I'll just bottle it, wait a few weeks and see if it's any good. If not I'll dump it and start over trying to make sure I do everything right the next time.

Ok, Longest. Introduction. Ever. I can't say I'll post much, but I guarantee i'm reading just about every day.

SiB57 said:
Secondly a quick question, if anyone has read this far :)

Still with ya!

SiB57 said:
My IPA has been in the secondary for about 2.5 weeks now but it is still quite cloudy. There is a ton of trub (I think that's the right terminology) at the bottom the carboy but I can't see through the beer. Is this normal, or did I screw up somewhere?

Trub is the right terminology.

As for bring able to see through the beer or not, I'm usually not able to see through it when I bottle it. If I leave the thing in the secondary for 4 weeks or so, yes, but not after the normal 2 weeks or so. It will clear up even more in the bottles.

Now... this cloudiness may not normally be the case for you with Mr. Beer kits. I have no idea. Those are "mix with hot water and add yeast" kits, right? If so, your "real" beer could conceivably be more cloudy. You probably used some grain and some hops, right?

I wouldn't get all worked up about the clarity. There are things you can to do control it, but it won't affect the flavor, so just roll with it for now. You can investigate how to get rid of it later. (and we can help.)

SiB57 said:
Also i wasn't positive if my beer ever fermented (no airlock activity, plastic primary but it appeared to be a good seal) but there was a kraussen ring before I racked to the secondary. Also the Hydrometer reading was much lower (it was not as high as I was told it would be before fermentation but I might have read it worng, ~1.029 but at racking time it was ~1.010.)

You definately fermented, but it's possible that it went quickly and you never say it via the airlock. 1.029 is a pretty dang low starting gravity, so it didn't have far to go be done.

Now.... about the 1.029 OG. There are a number of reasons you could have gotten this reading; bad hydrometer (not likely), using too much water / too little extract (possible), using a bad sample of beer (like, not stiring everything evenly before taking the reading), or just human error reading the device.

If you can give us the recipe, we can tell you more.

SiB57 said:
I figure I'll just bottle it, wait a few weeks and see if it's any good. If not I'll dump it and start over trying to make sure I do everything right the next time.

Sounds like a plan! Don't sweat it either. You might have done everything just fine.

SiB57 said:
Ok, Longest. Introduction. Ever. I can't say I'll post much, but I guarantee i'm reading just about every day.
Look forward to hearing back from you about this beer.

Huh, I had a reply to this thread before, I don't know why it isn't here anymore. I think there was a database problem a few days/weeks ago, maybe that caused it.

I bottled this brew on Monday, and tasted the beer before bottling. Not sure how it was supposed to taste, but it did have a nice hop flavor and it was kinda sweet, but I don' think overly so. We'll see how it is in a few weeks when I crack one open.

I chilled one bottle down and opened it tonight. It was very good. I think I was tasting some of the "green" mentioned in other posts, that I hope mellows out with some age, which I'm planning on doing and not opening another for 2 more weeks. Also, it had some banana flavors, which is probably because we had a major heat wave here during the fermentation where it was over 100 a few days in a row and even with the air conditioner running full blast, my house was between 74 and 85. But the one I had was very very drinkable and I can't wait to try some more.

SiB57 said:
On tap there is Yuengling Lager and Flying Fish Summer Ale (both "ok" beers but it's what my liquor store *ahh, the joys of living in NJ* had in stock when I finished my kit today.

Yuengling Lager is a fine beer. I'd rate better then okay IMHO:tank:

Back