Saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyttlewilly

Reaction score
So I have just saved my first batch of yeast. Pretty simple and all, but I don't know how to tell how many yeast cells I have saved. I am still pretty new to brewing and have been reading the importants of yeast. To my understanding most ales need about 100 million yeast cells and lagers need around 200 million. So how can I tell or atleast make a good estimate to how many cells I have collected and if I need to grow some more for the next batch?

So I have just saved my first batch of yeast. Pretty simple and all, but I don't know how to tell how many yeast cells I have saved. I am still pretty new to brewing and have been reading the importants of yeast. To my understanding most ales need about 100 million yeast cells and lagers need around 200 million. So how can I tell or atleast make a good estimate to how many cells I have collected and if I need to grow some more for the next batch?

You can learn a lot about yeast, pitching rates, and making yeast starters at http://www.mrmalty.com/

There is a pitching rate calculator on that website. You put in your gravity, volume, etc at the top of the calculator, then there are tabs. One of them is "Repitching from Slurry". If you're using washed yeast and not making a starter from it, that's the tab you want to select. You'll have to gauge how "clean" your yeast is, and how thick the slurry is, and slide the little triangles around to see how many mL of your slurry you'll need to pitch.

The number of yeast needed depends on volume and gravity. 100 BILLION yeast are good for a really low gravity (sub 1.030ish if I recall correctly) 5 gallon ale batch. A beer larger than that it's advisable to make a yeast starter. The calculator is really handy for how big a starter depending on the beer size.

Thank you Froto,
I have checked this website out before and it was a bit over my head, but I shall try and give it another looksee.

Back