Saving Wild Oak Cubes for Future Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenaciousJ

Reaction score
Looking for some advice from anyone who reuses oak cubes in wild beers. I'm getting ready to bottle a sour brown that used the dregs of La Roja and Consecration and one ounce of medium french oak cubes. I was thinking about reserving 1/2 cup of the finished beer in a mason jar to keep the cubes in. Then over the next few weeks adding some more consecration/la roja dregs to the mason jar. Hopefully I'll get to use them again within a few months. My questions:

- Is this a solid plan and if so how long can i expect the cubes to be usable with out any ill effects?

- I plan to use the cubes again after primary fermentation completes. Would it make sense to pitch the cubes and liquid from the mason jar?

Thanks in advance!

There are few different waysd you could go about it. Some people will put the cubes out to dry on a rack or something, then store in a ziplcok bag.

I usually time it so I get the cubes into the next beer the same day I remove them but I know thats not always possible.

I have also stored the cubes in a mason jar with 200-300ml of unhopped starter wort. If its going to sit for a long time you could feed it more wort, but you should probably be fine. Then when its time to use the cubes just pitch the whole thing into the new batch.

You can keep then in a mason jar. Best kept in beer. Do you have a gallon jug you can use. Make a simple extract gallon batch and add yeast and the cubes.

Some people just dry them.

Back