Saving sanitizer solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbplace

Reaction score
would it be a bad idea to mix up a batch of sanitizer solution and possibly save it in a spray bottle or bucket for future use?

It will save best if you use Distilled water - it will tend to cloud up and breakdown depending on your water.

On brew day I generally mix up a 2 gallon batch of Star San. When the day is done I set it in the area I keep my bottles. Then, when I finish a bottle of beer I rinse the bottle in the sink and soak it in the Star San for a day or so. I remove it from the bucket, drain and store the bottle.

I will then soak the bottle in fresh Star San on bottling day and fill it.

would it be a bad idea to mix up a batch of sanitizer solution and possibly save it in a spray bottle or bucket for future use?

This depends completely on what sanitizing solution you're using. Most of them, including Iodophor, bleach, and One-Step will dissipate in a matter of hours. Star-San will last a very long time, depending on the water used.

I thought I read somewhere that it loses its effectiveness after a while. Perhaps I'm thinking of a specific sanitizer. Someone smarter than I can confirm or deny this.

It depends on the sanitizer. A properly mixed and stored bleach or iodine solution could last for up to a week. Obviously, never store a bleach solution in stainless. A StarSan solution mixed in distilled water and stored properly can last pretty much forever. Also, cloudy StarSan doesn't mean its bad, but cloudy StarSan has the potential to be bad, kind of how a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square. The only way to make sure StarSan is good is check the pH.

Like everyone said:

Starsan - Make with distilled water, it'll last months...make with tap water, it may last or it may not, depending on how hard your water is

Everything else, (iodophor, onestep, bleach) - these do not "keep"...use immediately then toss.

Back