Saving in all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoulMouth

Reaction score
Just put in my cart a extract and all grain kit and there was only a 1.50 difference. How do i get it more cost effective.

excessive hops in the AG? Liquid yeast as opposed to dry yeast? Was the AG a imperial? There is a lot of factors that play a roll in here. I do not buy grains in bulk and at my LHBS and the cost is almost half for a AG recipe.

I have never done all grain before i am guessing a kit is the best option first. Then i buy 2 row in bulk 50lb and the whatever speciality grains i need as well as hops as per the recipe.

I wouldn't buy a kit for AG. There are too many variables that they can't account for in a premixed kit, and it doesn't really make it any easier.

Find a recipe and order everything from an online hbs. I just ordered my second batch from brewmasters warehouse and they are great, good prices and you can order grain in specific quantities and they will crush and mix it for you. I swear this isn't an ad even if it sounds like one.

bduane said:
I wouldn't buy a kit for AG. There are too many variables that they can't account for in a premixed kit, and it doesn't really make it any easier.

Find a recipe and order everything from an online hbs. I just ordered my second batch from brewmasters warehouse and they are great, good prices and you can order grain in specific quantities and they will crush and mix it for you. I swear this isn't an ad even if it sounds like one.

Lol sounds good. any recipes i like reds, browns, and a good wheat.

If you're in Howell you have MI brewing company right down the rd. They sell everything there less than what you pay online + shipping. 50lb bags of 2 row are $30. Drive over and check it out.....and get a pint or two in the pub while you're there.:mug:

mfraier said:
If you're in Howell you have MI brewing company right down the rd. They sell everything there less than what you pay online + shipping. 50lb bags of 2 row are $30. Drive over and check it out.....and get a pint or two in the pub while you're there.:mug:

Ok i live in cape cod So i pull out of my drive and then make a left or is it a right. Lol:)

Get me a price list of their base malts next time you are in there.

I'm willing to drive there for a good 1/3 savings on base malts.

I used to buy extract kits there. I need to give them another shot. On problem I kept running into there is I've been following recipes from "brewing classic styles" and their selection is somewhat limited. Often I found they wouldn't have the hops or yeast I needed or sometimes even the specialty grains. Only having 6-7 extract batches and 1 AG batch under my belt I am not too comfortable making substitutions on "proven" recipes.

Also this might not be a big deal, but one time the 1lb of crystal malt i got had a bunch of little bugs in it. I understand it is natural for there to be eggs in the grain, but having hatched critters in the grain the same day as purchase leads me to believe they might not be following the best grain storage practices. I still used it and the beer still turned out great, so maybe I am just being picky!

Were should i buy my grains? I put a recipe from john palmer together and came to 19.80 which i was ok then midwest charges 11.00 for shipping. $30 for a AG is silly.

Bulk grain + bulk hops = huge saving. If you brew a few times a month, say 36 times per year, you are literally saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars by buying bulk hops and grains. I usually plan out 3-4 beer (or 2-3 big ones) right before I get a new sack of grain.

Also, for bulk hops, buy 1-2 lbs at a time and you'll save a huge amount of money. I invested in a vacuum sealer, and divy the hops up into 2 oz packs each time I get hops. I have used hops a year out like this with no change in flavor or aroma.

I do, however, try to use the grain within a month or two of opening the bulk bag, as it is not refrigerated. As long as it is kept cool and dry though, it should keep pretty well.

All grain is where it's at! Going with bulk also gives you an excuse to tell your better half you need to brew more :)

Biobrewer said:
Bulk grain + bulk hops = huge saving. If you brew a few times a month, say 36 times per year, you are literally saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars by buying bulk hops and grains. I usually plan out 3-4 beer (or 2-3 big ones) right before I get a new sack of grain.

Also, for bulk hops, buy 1-2 lbs at a time and you'll save a huge amount of money. I invested in a vacuum sealer, and divy the hops up into 2 oz packs each time I get hops. I have used hops a year out like this with no change in flavor or aroma.

I do, however, try to use the grain within a month or two of opening the bulk bag, as it is not refrigerated. As long as it is kept cool and dry though, it should keep pretty well.

All grain is where it's at! Going with bulk also gives you an excuse to tell your better half you need to brew more :)

I second the better half thing. :)

I buy everything I need for a whole year when the fall grain sales are on and store in the basement. I keep my grain bags in plastic rubbermaid containers and have never had any problems with open bags losing quality withing a few months or so.

My LHBS has pre made "kits" for Ag that run $42. I just got all the ingredients for an Arrogant bastard clone from the same shop for $28. That's 15lb's of 2 row, 4 lbs of 4 different specialty grains, 3 oz chinook pellet,some cheesecloth for the pellet hops, notty dry yeast(now 3.75 a pack), and crushed to my specifications. Not to bad IMO.

Consider partigyle brewing, if you're ready for it.

FWIW, my most sudden and noticeable increase in cost effectiveness came when I learned to handle yeast, not when I went to all-grain. My LHBS charges $10 per vial/pack. That's 30% of my total cost sometimes. The most cost-effective way I have found to brew so far is to brew a session beer, harvest the yeast, then partigyle a couple batches that also use that yeast.

I didn't "notice" real savings in all-grain until I also got my own mill and started buying many unmilled kits at once to exploit flat rate shipping. Now I'm buying in bags and the difference finally seems "big".

chuckjaxfl said:
Consider partigyle brewing, if you're ready for it.

FWIW, my most sudden and noticeable increase in cost effectiveness came when I learned to handle yeast, not when I went to all-grain. My LHBS charges $10 per vial/pack. That's 30% of my total cost sometimes. The most cost-effective way I have found to brew so far is to brew a session beer, harvest the yeast, then partigyle a couple batches that also use that yeast.

I didn't "notice" real savings in all-grain until I also got my own mill and started buying many unmilled kits at once to exploit flat rate shipping. Now I'm buying in bags and the difference finally seems "big".

Is it true you can get mutant strands after about 10 uses. Yet, i also heard sierra nevada has been using the same stand since day one. And how do i start.

You can get mutant strands maybe even before that. Yes i'm sure sierra nevada has been been using the same strand forever but they have access to all kinds of things that you don't

Were should i buy my grains? I put a recipe from john palmer together and came to 19.80 which i was ok then midwest charges 11.00 for shipping. $30 for a AG is silly.

Try an online HBS that charges flat rate shipping, such as Austin Homebrew Supply or Brewmasters Warehouse. Buy more than one recipe at a time to split the shipping costs among the multiple recipes. Once you're comfortable with brewing all grain, buy base malts in bulk and buy the specialty malts as you need them.

My per-recipe cost was dramatically reduced by switching to all grain brewing.

Is it true you can get mutant strands after about 10 uses. Yet, i also heard sierra nevada has been using the same stand since day one. And how do i start.

Sure it's true. It's equally true you can buy yeast once, never buy it ever again, and never have an issue. However, that does require some equipment (mostly a pressure canner, the rest is really, really cheap).

Start right here on HBT:

Fermentation & Yeast - Home Brew Forums

Specifically, start with this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/.

Then read the forum threads about 'harvesting', 'rinsing', or 'washing'. When you think you want to actually stop buying yeast altogether, read the threads on 'ranching', 'freezing', 'slants', 'plates' and 'sterile suspension'.

Back