Saving an "expiring yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
So I have a vial of the white labs platinum helles lager yeast that has a best by date in early August. I don't plan to brew that early and I was wondering the best way to save it. Can I make a smaller starter with it now and just keep it in the flask until I plan to use it and then make another appropriate sized starter?

Thanks!

Leave the vial in the refrigerator until a few days before your brew day. The use mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com and the production date to determine what size starter to make. You can also determine how long before brew day to start it based on steps and if you will be chilling and decanting.

I would not make a starter to save, as you would likely need to do it again later.

when do you plan to brew the beer? Depending on when that is, you could make the starter now and have it ready for the big day.

the yeast dont all die on the expiration date. there will be less viability, but you just make a bigger starter in that case

Some recent experimentation has shown that yeast viability actually drops much more slowly than even Mr Malty predicts. I would just make a starter before you brew and leave it in the vial until then.

Back