Saving a way to bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So long story short my local home brew store that is also a brewey helped me with a recipe and sadly did not know what they were doing they gave me 3 lbs of flaked wheat for a hazy ipa but only gave me 10oz or so od 2 row which was not enough for the conversion so my abv came out to 5% instead of 7% or so

So my ibus were gonna be at around 70 but since this is only 5% they are off the charts it burns the back of your throat when you drink it.

It already has 1lbs of lactose in it but i was thinking of maybe adding 1/2 lbs boling it in a few cups of water and chucking it in the keg

I also have about 4 or 5 bottles of a dipa that i made awhile aho that funny enough came out way to sweet due to very low IBUs ( that was my fault)

Was thinking of also chucking them in since they are so sweet and also 10% abv so maybe that will help some?

It sucks cause the beer has good flavor but the after taste and punch is just way way to much

So long story short my local home brew store that is also a brewey helped me with a recipe and sadly did not know what they were doing they gave me 3 lbs of flaked wheat for a hazy ipa but only gave me 10oz or so od 2 row which was not enough for the conversion so my abv came out to 5% instead of 7% or so

So my ibus were gonna be at around 70 but since this is only 5% they are off the charts it burns the back of your throat when you drink it.

It already has 1lbs of lactose in it but i was thinking of maybe adding 1/2 lbs boling it in a few cups of water and chucking it in the keg

I also have about 4 or 5 bottles of a dipa that i made awhile aho that funny enough came out way to sweet due to very low IBUs ( that was my fault)

Was thinking of also chucking them in since they are so sweet and also 10% abv so maybe that will help some?

It sucks cause the beer has good flavor but the after taste and punch is just way way to much
I think you're on the right track with blending the beer with another batch to help balance the flavors out. Just take care to avoid aerating the finished beer as this will quickly degrade the flavor even further. That's about all I can think of. I wouldn't try using more lactose as you may end up with a heavy, unbalanced, and frankly very strange end result. You could also consider brewing a pale ale with a less significant bittering charge and blend the two at high kraeusen.

Has the beer cold conditioned yet? I often find my beers will balance out (become less bitter) as they condition. Perhaps a little time will fix it.

high IBUs do not burn the back of your throat....
Hop particles will do that...or fusels but it sounds like the former...
Cold crash for 1 week and sample again but avoid oxygen ingress...

honestly taking a sample is even too risky, I'd just package and let it age out...

Back