Saved wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
Last week I made some pale ale (all grain) and saved some of the wort from the boil. Later in the day I poured some into a 2000ml flask and boiled 20 minutes with foil on the top and cooled it in the fridge. It is still perfectly clear and there are no smells at all from it.

Having never saved any this long before I am hesitating because I really do not know how long it keeps safely. This wort had plenty of hops too.

How many think this is OK to use for a starter?

I think it will be ok for a starter, especially because you said there were no strange smells or flavors. If you have a pressure cooker you can sterilize and can wort, then keep it for weeks and months in the fridge.

Iordz said:
I think it will be ok for a starter, especially because you said there were no strange smells or flavors. If you have a pressure cooker you can sterilize and can wort, then keep it for weeks and months in the fridge.

It was boiled 2 times and the foil was never removed. I will see if any one else chimes in that has done this before. Thanks.

Personaly I wouldn't use wort that old to make a starter with unless it was canned wort due to botulism worries. There may be nothing wrong with using
it if it were boiled again to kill off any potential spoors that may have gotten into your flask during cooling and storage before you make a starter out of it.

My .02

Boiling for an hour won't kill spores. To kill off spores you'll need the pressure cooker. That being said, I'd probably use it anyway.

why would he need to worry about botulism spores? Those are only a concern if he canned the old wort and screwed it up...Botulism needs an anaerobic environment to grow.

Of all the things that could have fallen into this wort, botulism isn't something he needs to worry about in this instance.

Trappist Artist said:
Boiling for an hour won't kill spores.

No, but the natural acidity of wort, will. Botulism won't grow in wort or beer, on account of the acidity. (If you're canning vegetables, {or fruit} the acidity of tomatoes will prevent botulism, but you need to be REAL careful, with mushrooms, since they aren't acidic enough.)(Yes, tomatoes are technically fruit.)

steve

Back