Save a Lactobacillus infection for later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
So I tried for a Czech pils and it had a very halted start. I thought things were going ok when it slowly started to bubble after 3 days and FG was reached after a month. Unfortunately, after 2 months of lagering(1.054 OG) I now have a very sour and citrusy lager. After looking thru the forums I came to the conclusion that its a Lactobacillus infection. It's almost like bud lime with extra lime. Can I save this for a later blend or something or should I just toss the sucker?

Hmm. I'd be inclined to stash it under the basement stairs and forget about it for a year or so. Could turn out interesting. Maybe you'll come up with something fun to try with it in the meantime.... like adding 10 or 20 pounds of cherries or something. Donno exactly. Just saying I'd probably keep it.

You didn't mention how you liked the sour/citrusy taste? If you like it, drink it! :)

Like I said, bud lime on steroids. not really my bag but I could see how it might work for others or fit into another category. I don't really wanna sit on this for a year to roll the dice in case it tastes better but if theres a way I can put it to good use I will, otherwise its going down the drain

Back