Saturday Ciderday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
Man, Saturday was busy! I think I hit damn near every aspect of cider making outside of planting or grafting an apple tree. I picked the apples from around the neighborhood again and ended up with over 7 gallons this time :)The whole day started with chopping apples and cutting out the worm damaged areas, and running them thru a juicer (surprisingly, this took till 3am, but other stuff happened in between juicings), filtering and separating out the foamy crap, and putting it in a carboy. These were largely pippins and possibly a granny smith, and some other dessert varieties I picked here and there (goldens, honey crisp, (gala or fujis?), some kind of deep red ones, and some very tart green apples, oh and crabapples. The OG is 1.072! What the heck? Must have been those trippy colored apples that I think might be Newtowns. I showed a friend a picture of it, and while he agreed that it could be Newtown, he thinks it might be a wild variety, and that I should send it in for testing. If its a "new" variety, an orchardist may want a scion (he owns a cider bar, so he seems well connected).

Meanwhile, I was air drying ophaug kveik, which came out nice, just have to test it.
I also kegged and bottled a batch of Sprouts Organic Juice fermented with opshaug. ABV 6.9%, FG 1.004, apparent attenuation is 93% (or around there). I would call this one an off-dry; not sweet enough for semi-sweet in my opinion. When using these store bought juices, I found that going all the way to dry just leaves me with little flavor, so I stop a little early to preserve some flavor. I filled 3 750's to bottle age. I also used a closed transfer system using CO2 instead of the siphoning method. Its really easy and less messy. The rest went into a corny for force carbing.

At around 8pm, we went to the Cider Shop (Redfield Cider Bar and Shop in Rockridge) to go taste some new ciders that hit the California market. I had some from Vermont, New York, and Sweden. The Vermont (Eden Cider) one was certainly dry, the one from New York was semi-sweet, and the Swedish one was done like an ice cider. All of them were VERY good. The vermont one was made from cider specific apples (I'll post a pic of the ingredients that are on the back label). I came home with a bottle of a single varietal cider, Baldwin Apples. We will crack this 750ml bottle tonight, or later this afternoon :)

When we returned home, there were more apples to juice. And after all that was done, I put it all in a carboy, with a gallon left over, which I may just do a wild ferment with it to see what the East Bay has to offer as far as wild yeast. The 5 gallons got 5 tabs of campden, and pectic enzyme. Its currently wrapped in a fermwrap getting ready for Voss. Once it hits 95F, I will pitch. I'll be doubling up on the nutes, and starting with a bow off tube instead of waiting for the airlock to explode.

Finally, CLEAN UP! The kitchen was a disaster, and I DID NOT want to wake up to have to deal with it. So, poured another pint of cider, and got to cleaning.

It was a fantastic, and fun as hell Saturday. Wifey cutting the apples and me juicing them. Finally got here on the team :)
20191109_194839.jpg

How fast does the juicer work?

Not fast enough! It requires frequent cleaning, and the juice needs to be filtered twice to get all of the foaminess and particulates out. I hope to rent a grinder and press this weekend. I bought 3 bushels of apples this weekend, one northern spy, one baldwin and one winesap, plus I have a bushel or two of apples I picked in the neighborhood this last week. A lot of work ahead of me, and the juicer wouldn't handle this amount!

This Saturday will be Ciderday again! I have a press and grinder reserved for Friday/Saturday. Super excited about the upcoming cider. It's probably going to be a blend of baldwin, winesap, northern spy, and a combination of neighborhood apples. Ill press the cider apples individually just in case i get enough juice from one to do a 3 gallon single varietal, or perhaps ill do 1 gallon of each as wild ferments and blend the rest into a 5 gallon fermenter (probably go with Voss or opshaug/voss blend).

Not fast enough! It requires frequent cleaning, and the juice needs to be filtered twice to get all of the foaminess and particulates out. I hope to rent a grinder and press this weekend. I bought 3 bushels of apples this weekend, one northern spy, one baldwin and one winesap, plus I have a bushel or two of apples I picked in the neighborhood this last week. A lot of work ahead of me, and the juicer wouldn't handle this amount!

So how much juice do you get out of a bushel of apples and how much does a bushel of apples cost?

So how much juice do you get out of a bushel of apples and how much does a bushel of apples cost?
I will let you know on Saturday when i get done with pressing. Im sure each variety will yield differently though. But when i used the juicer, it seemed like a lot was wasted from both the foam, and the overall inefficiency of the juicer itself (the pulp was still quite wet).

I bought the bushels at $0.30 per pound, so $12.00. Nothing really wrong with them except that they are small, and some have worms, but not many. I got them from Walkers Apples outside of Sebastapol, California (in csse you're nearby). Theres still a ton left, but mostly eating apples.

Good luck and have a great time pressing!

FYI- as far as yield goes- I’ve been getting a gallon of juice per 12-15lbs of apples. It really depends on the variety, time sweated and size of apple.
That’s with a garbage disposal grinder and a hydropress. Your yield will vary but that’s a decent ballpark figure.

Good luck and have a great time pressing!

FYI- as far as yield goes- I’ve been getting a gallon of juice per 12-15lbs of apples. It really depends on the variety, time sweated and size of apple.
That’s with a garbage disposal grinder and a hydropress. Your yield will vary but that’s a decent ballpark figure.
Right on. I was watching a bunch of youtube videos, and some get 2-3 gallons per bushel, if thats the case, I should end up with about 15 gallons. I better go get some carboys if that's the case! I only have 13 gallons of open carboy space at the moment, unless I use a corny to ferment under pressure with a spunding valve.

I better go get some carboys if that's the case! I only have 13 gallons of open carboy space at the moment, unless I use a corny to ferment under pressure with a spunding valve.
Buckets, cornys, whatever you got. Ferment open and just throw a rag or towel over the top. Just make sure you have enough space to rack them under an airlock after primary.

If it’s an option, I’ve been freezing most of my juice in gallon milk jugs. I have a keezer that’s been turned back to a freezer until I use up the juice.
Before freezing I’ll dose w campden and pectic enzyme.

upload_2019-11-21_12-31-11.jpeg

If it’s an option, I’ve been freezing most of my juice in gallon milk jugs. I have a keezer that’s been turned back to a freezer until I use up the juice.
Before freezing I’ll dose w campden and pectic enzyme.

View attachment 653422
My wife would kill me if I bought a freezer. I already have two mini-fridges, and the kitchen is piled up with boxes of apples (soon to be pressed tomorrow!). I will likely just put it all into carboys and let 'er rip. Just got another inkbird itc 308, so now I can control 3 fermenters. At least I'll have a **** ton of cider for the new year :)

I imagine a storage unit down by the airport loaded with fridges, a freezer & a bunch of Cornys.

Another Saturday/Ciderday for the books. Spent most of the day pressing apples with an apple press I rented from the LHBS. I had Northern Spy, Winesap, and Baldwin from an orchard, and, Cox Pippins, Reds, Grannys, Fuji, Gravs, and a bunch of unknowns from the neighborhood, no crabs in this batch, but I don't think the cider will need it given the varieties in the blend. The yield wasn't as high as I expected (7.5- almost 8 gallons) from about 4+bushels. I think the grinder/scratter could be better, or maybe I should've let the apples sweat a little longer. I was worried that if I let them sit much longer, too many would rot, and there was only one opportunity in the next 2 weeks to get the press (the press is reserved for Saturdays till the first week of December).

Nevertheless, it was a perfect day to be working in the sun, sipping on some fresh cider (both hard, and sweet ;)! The neighbors stopping by to see what was going on, ended up handing out a couple cold and carbonated 750's too, finally ahead of the curve, so now there is plenty to go around. I think our one-eyed dog, Belle, wanted to help, but decided to lie around instead. I have it all in carboys getting ready to pitch the yeast at 5:30pm tonight, K-meta and pectic enzymes added. The juice is really dark colored, I wonder if thats an indication of tannin (?). I read that certain polyphenols (tannin?) turn brown when exposed to oxygen, and the taste definitely indicated some level of tannin, though admittedly, my palate is not that refined yet. The article I read was quite technical, and somewhat hard to follow, but, I think I understood it correctly. I understand human biology much better than plant biology, though you'd think the former would be more complex! Well, i beg to differ now. Plants are pretty darned complex in their own right, and really not that different from animal biology at the end of the day.

The 5 gallon will get Voss Kveik, and the 3 gallon White Labs English Cider Yeast. Here is a pic of the scene (Some live 1970's Grateful Dead playing in the background, the apples in the box are the Winesaps):
20191123_112538.jpg

Another Saturday/Ciderday for the books. Spent most of the day pressing apples with an apple press I rented from the LHBS. I had Northern Spy, Winesap, and Baldwin from an orchard, and, Cox Pippins, Reds, Grannys, Fuji, Gravs, and a bunch of unknowns from the neighborhood, no crabs in this batch, but I don't think the cider will need it given the varieties in the blend. The yield wasn't as high as I expected (7.5- almost 8 gallons) from about 4+bushels. I think the grinder/scratter could be better, or maybe I should've let the apples sweat a little longer. I was worried that if I let them sit much longer, too many would rot, and there was only one opportunity in the next 2 weeks to get the press (the press is reserved for Saturdays till the first week of December).

Nevertheless, it was a perfect day to be working in the sun, sipping on some fresh cider (both hard, and sweet ;)! The neighbors stopping by to see what was going on, ended up handing out a couple cold and carbonated 750's too, finally ahead of the curve, so now there is plenty to go around. I think our one-eyed dog, Belle, wanted to help, but decided to lie around instead. I have it all in carboys getting ready to pitch the yeast at 5:30pm tonight, K-meta and pectic enzymes added. The juice is really dark colored, I wonder if thats an indication of tannin (?). I read that certain polyphenols (tannin?) turn brown when exposed to oxygen, and the taste definitely indicated some level of tannin, though admittedly, my palate is not that refined yet. The article I read was quite technical, and somewhat hard to follow, but, I think I understood it correctly. I understand human biology much better than plant biology, though you'd think the former would be more complex! Well, i beg to differ now. Plants are pretty darned complex in their own right, and really not that different from animal biology at the end of the day.

The 5 gallon will get Voss Kveik, and the 3 gallon White Labs English Cider Yeast. Here is a pic of the scene (Some live 1970's Grateful Dead playing in the background, the apples in the box are the Winesaps):View attachment 653905
I’m currently fermenting some winesaps as well. They’ve only been in for about a month. At first taste, they’re a bit bland but they definitely have a unique flavor. I may use them to blend.

Back