Sanyo 3720 Conversion...easy-ish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYC

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while. I want to say hi (I know there's a thread for that...I'll get to it...eventually) and ask if anyone has converted this fridge for a tower and two 5# cornys. I searched but couldn't find anything for this model. My plan is to run a shank out for my 20# CO2.

Thanks very much in advance. This site is awesome! :mug:

Hopefully you have tried setting two cornies in the fridge to make sure they will fit. While I couldn't find a modification for your model, probably because most people do 4.4 cu ft. and above, I did find one for a Sanyo 4.9 cu ft. The door looks real similar to the 3.7, so this would probably be a good starting point.

I would just make sure two Cornies are going to fit before starting.

http://community.livejournal.com/homebrewing/413981.html

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually planning to buy it from a Craigslist ad tonight, so I can't test it out with the cornies until after. I had a call with the seller last night and they said the interior horizontal dimension is 16". I think this is exactly the width of 2 ball-lock cornies, right?

I am sure another mini-fridge will come on CL soon enough and would rather get the right one the first time. But at the same time I need cold beer man! :D What do you think, can I wedge 2 in there with minimal conversion, or will I be stuck dremmeling 1/8" of insulation out of the wall?

Thanks very much for your help.

I think regardless of the mini fridge you get you will have to cut done off the door, just depends on how much.

Since you haven't purchased the fridge yet, I would take two empty cornies with me when I go look at it. Set them in and determine how much fabbing you will have to do to make it work, if it even will.

It took me a long time to settle on a fridge. It only takes one little bulge in the wrong place and the kegs won't fit without a lot of work. I found several fridges at Sam's Club and thought they would work until I physically went up there and measured them. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'd have to lug these on the subway, and my only corny is currently full :)

Now this may sound crazy, but looking at this high-resolution dealer image of the unit do you think it will fit 2 cornies?

http://us.sanyo.com/Counterhigh/Counter-High-Refrigerator-SR-3720M

I'll probably buy the fridge tonight but want to say I took my best shot at researching before I got it. Thanks!

As long as the shelves come out, the the only problem I can see is what is the distance from the hump to the opening.

Can't really do too much to the hump as that is where the compressor is. So if you measure from there to the opening and it is deep enough for a corny then you might be ok.

Also put two cornies side by side and measure their width. Knowing that will be helpful as well when you go and measure this fridge.

Oh, that is a really really good idea! Thank you!

:rockin:

I'll post some photos if it works out.

I hope you didn't get the unit. That model has a built in freezer. You will have to deal with that. (Bend it out of the way.) The freezer cannot be removed.!!

Wow, crisis averted (barely). Thanks! I'd be lost without this site.

Wow, crisis averted (barely). Thanks! I'd be lost without this site.

Great save. I'm really glad that I caught you in time. I was reluctant to post in case you did the deal. It was a holy **** moment.

Keep a lookout for a Sanyo 4912. Do a google on it and you might hit a deal.

Yeah, I read your message as I was on the subway platform to go pick up the fridge. Crisis barely avoided! I've been looking on Google for the elusive 4912 but it seems the shipping costs alone exceed the cost of the fridge. Is there a particular site to hunt for them on?

no walmarts in nyc ha

just keep looking for sanyo fridge on craigslist ive seen them pop up oncei n a while, they rarely ever say the model number

so you just have to ask the seller if they have a freezer compartment

and you can generally tell by the interior and exterior picture if it is the 4912

i would say the 4912 is quite large for a minifridge so it might be quite difficult to handcart it aroud in the city... dont know... i woudl find someone with an suv to pick it up

Again, I would look for a compact fridge that is at least 4.4 cu ft or more and you should be fine.

I was actually going to do the same thing, but now I think I need more of a full size fridge because I would like to have at least 4 different beers on tap, and possibly 1-2 soda's for the kids.

hey NYC, did you ever find a mini to convert?

Hey mikeysab,

Blast from the past! :)

After I broke the first 4.4CF unit by bending the freezer tray and cracking the coolant lines (d'oh!) I decided to go all out and made a keezer using Frigidaire from Craigslist. It just _barely_ fits 2 ball-lock cornies, and I've got a lagering carboy sitting over the hump. Added 2 Perlick 375SS taps, wired a Control Products dual-stage temp controller, and I'm good to go.

I'm really happy I went the keezer route. It fits much better in my tiny apartment for what it does, and looks great.

Hope that helps! :mug:

I know this is an old thread, but anyone know if this fridge could fit a 6.5 gallon carboy? There's one available locally on Craigslist and I need better fermentation control.

TIA

I know this is an old thread, but anyone know if this fridge could fit a 6.5 gallon carboy? There's one available locally on Craigslist and I need better fermentation control.

TIA

I guarantee it won't fit a 6.5 gallon carboy as is. The floor space is pretty tight with the compressor hump in the back. If you're up for doing some modifications you could definitely make it work by adding a collar to extend the depth.
I did this with a similar fridge and it works great.
You can check out my build here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-fermentation-chamber-build-473619/) and decide if you're up to the task.

I guarantee it won't fit a 6.5 gallon carboy as is. The floor space is pretty tight with the compressor hump in the back. If you're up for doing some modifications you could definitely make it work by adding a collar to extend the depth.
I did this with a similar fridge and it works great.
You can check out my build here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-fermentation-chamber-build-473619/) and decide if you're up to the task.

yeah, I saw your thread earlier - looks great. I'm not sure if I want to go through all of that.

I have a wine cooler that looks like this that I got for free some time ago that doesn't work, but fits a carboy perfectly. I've been planning on buying a smaller dorm fridge (like this ) and splicing the two together - cut out the back half of the small one and mounting it to the big one.

Debating which will be easier to do - frankenstein up two fridges, or make an extension.

yeah, I saw your thread earlier - looks great. I'm not sure if I want to go through all of that.

I have a wine cooler that looks like this that I got for free some time ago that doesn't work, but fits a carboy perfectly. I've been planning on buying a smaller dorm fridge (like this ) and splicing the two together - cut out the back half of the small one and mounting it to the big one.

Debating which will be easier to do - frankenstein up two fridges, or make an extension.

To me, the frankenstein idea sounds way more complex, but that's your call on what you're comfortable with.
If it were me, I would see what it would take to fix the wine fridge, but even if it was fixable at a reasonable price, it would only be good for ale temps.
Alternately I would probably try to find a fridge to match the size of that wine fridge door so I can mount it on an extension. I'd love to have that door on my ferm chamber.

Back